Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Freezer Won’t Freeze: No Need for Temp Control?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Handle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Freezer Won’t Freeze: No Need for Temp Control?

I think I already know the answer to this thread, but I wanted to throw it to those more familiar with refrigeration than I. I recently found on Craigslist an upright freezer that no longer gets to freezing temps, but still gets cold. I haven't contacted the seller, so I'm not sure exactly how cold (or if they even know).

I’m looking for a freezer to do a conversion, and was wondering if this might be a viable option – sort of more of a refrigerator conversion than a freezer. My concern is that if it’s not achieving its intended temperature, than something is probably wrong and it could get even worse. I don’t think I’ll be fermenting in this, just kegging. Should I look into this, or am I just asking for trouble on down the road?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
greeneyed
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The compressor would run continuously. Big $$ on utility bill.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Handle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyed View Post
The compressor would run continuously. Big $$ on utility bill.
Didn't even think about that.

Sounds like I should steer clear of this one.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I used to repair appliances. It is probably leaking freon and will get worse. It could have an inefficient compressor and will get worse. IF it is frost free and building up frost, then go for it. Probably just needs a timer.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i wouldn't bother with it. there is obviously something wrong with it and it could break at in inopportune time and wreck your brew. that and you don't know what temp it is stuck at. it may be to cold or to warm for your brew. do you know if its even the right size for your fermenter?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Handle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I used to repair appliances. It is probably leaking freon and will get worse. It could have an inefficient compressor and will get worse. IF it is frost free and building up frost, then go for it. Probably just needs a timer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
i wouldn't bother with it. there is obviously something wrong with it and it could break at in inopportune time and wreck your brew. that and you don't know what temp it is stuck at. it may be to cold or to warm for your brew. do you know if its even the right size for your fermenter?
Yeah, I just wanted to get a general idea as to what was wrong with it before I called the seller up asking these questions (I doubt very seriously they know off hand what temperature it cools too -- they don't use it anymore). I wasn't going to ferment in it, but rather convert it to a keezer. It was a nice size for that.

Oh well, thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I should stay away from this one.

Quick Reply