Few questions about hose and disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartertown

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just getting into kegging and have most of the equipment(I Think) to get started. I have a few questions about my regulator and my disconnect.

I have a gas in disconnect with a 1/4 barb on it. My regulator has a 5/16th barb. I have some bevlex 5/16th ID tubing that fits perfectly on the regulator end but it's 1/16th of an inch too big for the 1/4 disconnect. So my question is, should I go ahead and clamp it down to the 1/4 barb? Will I get a good seal out of it even though it's a bit too big? Should I teflon tape it to get it to seal better? Or should I try to find a 5/16" Barbed Swivel Nut to get a perfect fit? See below:

4972.jpg

Does anyone know if you can buy a Barbed Swivel Nut at Home Depot, Menards, Lowes etc? How about in their plumbing department? I'd love to be able to get something like this without paying shipping.

Appreciate any wisdom you can share.

Thanks!

I had the same situation when I first set up. I just clamped down on the 5/16 ID hose and have had no problems. It had been so long that I had forgotten about the size difference when I recently added more taps to set-up.

Great, thanks for your reply. I had a feeling I was overthinking it. :mug:

Nope cant find it locally , you can order online at kegconnection. You'll have to get a QD with 1/4 MFL and the fitting you have pictured.

Back