Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Deciding how many taps to install

View Poll Results: How many taps for your Holiday 7 ft^3 keezer?
One 0 0%
Two 4 6.90%
Three 12 20.69%
Four 24 41.38%
More than four 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
milesvdustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Deciding how many taps to install

I have a Holiday 7 ft^3 chest freezer that is soon to become my keezer. I was wondering, from others that have this model freezer, how many taps do you have? And, if you have a certain number of taps how many do you wish you had installed or not installed? I am going to buy the premium all stainless kit from kegconnection.com as soon as I get my tax return back in the next week or so, and I need to decide which kit to buy. I really want 4 taps, but then I wouldn't even use all four if I had some kegs in there carbing up or conditioning. Maybe two or three taps is better? Just looking for some advice before I pull the trigger on my new setup. I plan on ordering enough extra kegs with the kit so I have about 6 on hand. I am also going to order a secondary regulator and an extra two way manifold so I can have some kegs on higher pressure, in case of force carb or soda for swmbo. Thank you all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts

I have the 7.2 Magic Chef and I can get 4 cornies in there with my Co2 bottle and other stuff. I was going to put 4 taps on it originally but just installed one at a time. Now that I have 2 taps installed, I don't see me putting anymore on. When it is full, I have 2 kegs on tap and 2 carbing. 2 is enough for me.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you have the money to invest in it now, I would just do all four from the beginning. I have a two tap kegerator and I always wish I had more. At the very least I'd want three, 1. session beer 2-pale ale/ipa 3-stout/porter/high alcohol.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I'm building my keezer now (GE 7.0) and it will have four taps. I originally planned to only install 2 taps but I decided to just bite the bullet and do 4 now and be done with it.

Plus, having more taps will allow you to have a larger selection of brews, apfelwein, soda, etc. available for when friends/family come to visit.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in the same boat...I'd like to get everything at once for my keezer. The cost really adds up when you start getting 4-5 SS faucets/shanks/connections.

For those with 4 or more taps, do you typically have all systems go or are 1 or 2 offline? I was thinking of getting 4 regular faucets and a creamer, even though I could really only have 4 total kegs in my keezer. Would it be better to just swap out the creamer when not in use instead of having 5 taps available at all times?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
deezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just started buying items for my keezer build, gonna pick up Holiday 7 or GE 7 whichever the store has at the time. Originally I was saying I only wanted 3 taps, but then I talked myself into 4. Even if you don't run tap 4 all of the time, it's nice to have ready to go when you get the itch for another brew on tap. As well, once you get your pipeline going you will be able to have 3-4 serving so go for it

Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
bja
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Get all 4.

I have 3 taps but my wife commandeered 1 for a sweet stout which I don't drink, so I'm down to 2.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've got four kegs in mine with four taps and I still have some room for bottles on the hump.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Ok I think I decided to go with four. Kegconnection has a new three gallon keg upgrade for 80 dollars so I may grab one of those too for putting on the hump in between full kegs, parties, etc. I'm just gonna buy a few extra kegs with the kit and get going on it. I've got three batches that are all one month in the primary thus far. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I have 2 right now and will be moving to 5-6 as I complete my bar build. As many as you can fit is my suggestion. There's nothing wrong with having 4 taps empty 99% of the time. it makes it worthwhile the 1% when you have enough pipeline to have them all up. I am sick of the 2 beers I currently have and wish I had more options.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply