CO2 sanatization???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardenwheat

Reaction score
I am going to keg for the first time in a few days. A friend of mine gave me a keg fridge and CO2 setup (bottle and regulators) The bottle has been empty for a couple years. Do I need to worry about CO2 being sanitized when force carbonating a keg??? I see people sanitize everything, but I have never read anything about sanitizing straight CO2 while pumping it into your sterile beer. Maybe it isn't a factor, just don't want to ruin a batch because of lack of understanding.

Thanks

Nope, no need to sanitize. I do however squirt sanitizer on both the gas and liquid QD's every time I attach them.

This is just my thinking and not based on any experience/scientific knowledge, but can anything grow/live in a 100% CO2 environment? I thought oxygen was kind of needed for bacterial growth? Maybe I'm an idiot, please flame me if I'm totally wrong.

This is just my thinking and not based on any experience/scientific knowledge, but can anything grow/live in a 100% CO2 environment? I thought oxygen was kind of needed for bacterial growth? Maybe I'm an idiot, please flame me if I'm totally wrong.

Nope. You could argue that anaerobic bugs could, but what would they be eating in there? Nothing in nature eats pure CO2....CO2 is already rather energetically reduced. (Some things in nature eat CO2 and reduce it using other energy sources, like sunlight {plants}, or those cool bacteria that live at the bottom of the ocean, {they use heat}...but nothing just eats CO2 and reduces it to C2O4 or some nonsense).

OP, no need to sanitize. Spray the connectors if you'd like.

Seriously, ask the person who is filling your tank to purge prior to filling. (Put just a little gas in and then let some out) That will get rid of any 'staleness' that you might be worried about.

Back