Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > cleaning my bottles...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
SabresBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cleaning my bottles...

I've got my bottles washing in the dishwasher right now and plan on bottling tomorrow. Just wondering if I should do anything special between now and tomorrow to keep my bottles clean. I'm going to sanitize right before bottling, but I'm just wondering if I should cover up the tops of the bottles with plastic wrap or something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
SabresBrew
Recipes 

works for me.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sometimes it's easy to over-think things. I know a couple people who go to the trouble to put foil covers on each and every bottle. I like to be lazy where I can.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 11-04-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBrew
I've got my bottles washing in the dishwasher right now and plan on bottling tomorrow. Just wondering if I should do anything special between now and tomorrow to keep my bottles clean. I'm going to sanitize right before bottling, but I'm just wondering if I should cover up the tops of the bottles with plastic wrap or something.
the dishwasher acts like an autoclave in that it will sanitize everthing inside and remain so until u open it. i usually run the washer bout 1-2 hrs before bottling, use em when they are still hottish and you'll have no problems.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
Mr Nick
Recipes 

Please explain how the dishwasher sanitizes anything?
Does the dish washer heat the water? If it does not then the water can only be as hot as it is when it comes out of the tap.

I once was present at a commercial kitchen during an inspection, where the inspector had us run the dish washer until it had heated the water. he then placed a thing in the machine that melted at the temperature at which it would sanitize.

This was an older machine...which passed. He commented that the newer (commerical) machines were not as good as that one and many would not reach that temperature.

I seriously doubt that a dish washer in a home would come any where near the efficiency of those machines?

Most home brew never stays around long enough for it to get to become good beer.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
SabresBrew
Recipes 

I plan on doing a no rinse sanitize just before bottling also. I couldn't fit all my bottles in at one time so I'll probably just leave the bottles I washed tonight in the dishwasher and then run the rest in the dishwasher 1-2 hours before I bottle. The home dishwasher has to do something. I know my dishwasher gets quite hot inside so I'm not too worried.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
Mr Nick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBrew
The home dishwasher has to do something. I know my dishwasher gets quite hot inside so I'm not too worried.
As you wish...Just be informed that you would not be able to touch the inside of the commercial dishwasher mentioned in my post above. You would burn your hand. When it was opened steam literally poured out of that machine. Much more than a home dish washer. When you took the plates out of the dish washer you had to be fast...else they were to hot to deal with.

That is not to say you will not be OK...But if you are...that would indicate to me that, this sanitizing thing parroted here...is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Most home brew never stays around long enough for it to get to become good beer.

Last edited by Mr Nick; 11-04-2007 at 03:41 AM.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:31 AM   #9
Docapi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nick
Does the dish washer heat the water? If it does not then the water can only be as hot as it is when it comes out of the tap.
If you look in the bottom of your dishwasher (Assuming you have one) you will see a black wire thingy.

That is a heating coil. It heats the water.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
Mr Nick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docapi
If you look in the bottom of your dishwasher (Assuming you have one) you will see a black wire thingy.

That is a heating coil. It heats the water.
I have one...just checked...it has one. but it gets no where as hot as the machine I mentioned above. So I still question the efficiency.
The commercial one preheated the water before it entered the machine.

Last edited by Mr Nick; 11-04-2007 at 03:52 AM.

Quick Reply