Can't find a CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
Recently I keep blasting through CO2 tanks and I have no idea why. I've checked all hoses, disconnects, keg lids, regulator attachments, etc, with a spray bottle of star san and I can't find a single leak. Is there a better, more sure fire way to figure out where my leak is? And is it possible that the regulator itself is leaking somehow?

Mine ended up being keg seals that I could not see with starsan spray. McMaster Car has all the seals far cheaper than brew shops.

Recently I keep blasting through CO2 tanks and I have no idea why. I've checked all hoses, disconnects, keg lids, regulator attachments, etc, with a spray bottle of star san and I can't find a single leak. Is there a better, more sure fire way to figure out where my leak is? And is it possible that the regulator itself is leaking somehow?

Yes. Definitely. I replaced an older regulator because it was leaking through a small crack in the housing. Check that with starsan too, especially around the threaded connections, that's where mine was cracked, I'm guessing due to over-tightening.

Yes it's all possible. Test again but use thicker soapy water. Use a brush and slop it on all the areas you want to test instead of using the spray bottle so you know you're getting coverage. Untap the keg and crank up the PSI's to a safe but higher level.

I had a regulator with an extremely small pinhole in it. It was in the housing and not near any welds or threads. Took me a while and 3 empty co2 bottles before I found it. Replaced the regulator and no problems since.

I recently had to track down a leak in my new kegging system, so allow me to give a little guidance and a methodical and organized process to eliminate each component.

1) Take a full tank (NO REGULATOR) and submerge it under water / LOOK FOR BUBBLES. If the tank has a leak (which is not likely in your case unless you keep using the same tank) then for sure you will see it. This eliminates the tank as the issue.

2) Hook up your regulator (what kind do you have?) making sure that the vinyl/fiber washer between regulator and tank is in place and in good condition.
2a) Make sure that the valve on the tank is OPEN completely as there is a valve that does not seal unless it is ALL THE WAY OPEN.
2b) With the shutoff valve on your regulator CLOSED, adjust the pressure to around 20psi and then give it some time (12 hours in my case) and if the pressure on the gauge is the same, then you have eliminated the regulator as the problem.

3) Connect your gas line to the shutoff valve on the regulator, making sure that the connections are tight at both ends. Open the shutoff valve from the regulator and repeat the waiting process for a period of time to see if you lose any pressure. If not then you have eliminated the gas line as the problem.

4) Pressurize an empty keg (20-30psi) and submerge it under water. If there is a leak in the keg, it will show here.

In my case, the problem was
* the pressure relief valve was not completely tightened down
OR
* there was a small leak in the connection between the regulator and the gas line. I would HIGHLY recommend (if you do not already) a vinyl 1/4" tailpiece washer at this connection (and any metal on metal connection) in your system.
OR
A combination of both of these.

Once you isolate where the problem is, it becomes a whole lot easier fixing it.

Do you have a washer between the reg and bottle? If so, replace it with a new one as well. Just spit balling ideas.

2b) With the shutoff valve on your regulator CLOSED, adjust the pressure to around 20psi and then give it some time (12 hours in my case) and if the pressure on the gauge is the same, then you have eliminated the regulator as the problem.

Thanks for the info! What if the regulator doesn't have a shutoff valve? (Mine doesn't). Should I skip this step, or is there another way to perform this step?

Thanks for the info! What if the regulator doesn't have a shutoff valve? (Mine doesn't). Should I skip this step, or is there another way to perform this step?

Take a pic of your regulator and post it. I would install a shutoff/check valve if I were you. Simple and cheap insurance against a backflow of beer into your regulator from the keg.
Without a shutoff, essentially skip the step and hook up your gas line and proceed.

I had an internal leak in a gauge a while back. Would not produce bubbles, but was audible. Disassembled the gauge, sprayed again, and found a pinhole in the brass. Soldered it up, good to go. Can you hear it?

I had an internal leak in a gauge a while back. Would not produce bubbles, but was audible. Disassembled the gauge, sprayed again, and found a pinhole in the brass. Soldered it up, good to go. Can you hear it?

In line with "can you hear it", you can take a piece of hose, ( 1/2 I.D. or larger), and hold it up to your ear, along all the connections to help you pinpoint a leak you can hear, or think that you hear.

Same principle as a stethoscope, only different!

Back