The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > can I bottle condition in the fridge turned on low?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
bluehouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default can I bottle condition in the fridge turned on low?

I have more in the bottle than I can fit in my ferm cabinets. It is hot here & getting hotter. I am going to Daytona next week & need to make a plan to have my beer conditioning without overheating. Will it condition properly in a fridge at about 45%, this is the warmest setting this box has, or will I need another plan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

To carbonate in the bottle they should be around 70 degrees or more. I don't usually hear the upper limit but I'd keep it below 80-90 if possible. They won't carbonate at 45 degrees.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
bluehouse
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yea that's what I thought but If I leave them in my house without the HVAC it will be much hotter than 80 maybe even hotter than 90. Summer is coming too early.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hmm that's a tough situation then. Do you have any sort of basement or root cellar?

You can put them in the fridge at 45* until you get back, they just won't make any progress on carbonation. Just take them back out when you get back and get the AC back on, shake them up and let them get warm again.

You may want to look into getting a temperature controller for the fridge (if this is a dedicated beer fridge) then you can use it to control primary fermentation temps, as well as bottle conditioning in this situation.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
bluehouse
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No celler, I am in south Texax, slab on grade hard red clay soil. BTW how far down would you need to go to get a temp change? We have a John Deer backhoe sitting out back, I could just get him to dig me a hole & plant a barrel for beer storage? So would 4 feet deep do it or would it need to be deeper?
thats a good suggestion on the store & then restart plan it may be what I have to do at this point.
I have one fridge with temp control but it is full & was not planning on changing this one cause it is used for other things.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hmm I really don't know. I don't think 4ft would be deep enough, but I don't know about the geology down there. I know caves are a constant 60ish but those go deep.

Quick Reply