Bar build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've decided to take the step of building a home bar with an integrated keezer. So far, I've only gotten around to painting the room and doing some trim work. Should be putting new flooring in this week, then it will finally be time to start building the keezer and bar. Thought I'd document my progress here and add my little story for anyone preparing to start a project themselves. I know how much help these forums have been for me, so hopefully I can pay it forward. Here's a couple before and after pics of the paint job. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425878330.592121.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425878387.990221.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425878426.724240.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425878435.790448.jpg

Looking great so far! The paint is cool! I have a bar of my own and maybe some day I'll get around to painting it some. I enjoy my bar to no end and I think you will find it worth your time. cheers!

Thanks. That orange stripe was a huge pain in the ass, but I love it now. I've had a kegerator for awhile now, but it was just sitting by itself in this catch all room. Time to make it a good place to hang out and drink beer.

I think the room construction has reached a point where I can start to concentrate on building the bar itself. Pretty much everything in the room is complete except the base trim. Going to go ahead and get the bar in so we can trim around it when complete.

I've been doing a ton of research on here, trying to figure out the best way to go about building a bar with an integrated coffin keezer. My plans have changed multiple times and I'm sure they will again, but I think I've come to a bit of a conclusion for now. I was planning on building a coffin keezer and then basically butting it up against a stationary bar. However, the more I thought about it, the more I decided that I could build the bar and simply slide the freezer underneath. Only a small portion of the lid of the freezer would need to be covered in wood that matches the bar top. This portion would also contain the coffin box. The freezer could be slid up underneath the bar at one end until it butts up to the backside of the bar top. The portion of the bar that includes the keezer would be a bit deeper than the regular bar, but that section would be used for dispensing beer, so I don't see that as a problem.

This would save the trouble of having a "joint" where the keezer top butted up agains the rest of the bar. Also, I wouldn't have to worry about building framework around the freezer that would have to move around with it every time I needed to move the keezer. Also, I wouldn't have to add all the extra weight to the lid of the keezer, making for easier keg and system maintenance. I would love to draw this out and have those with more experience take a look and see what they think, but I can guarantee that my written descriptions are drawing a better picture than I ever could with a pencil.

At risk of losing the audience due to boredom, I'll finish this post in the hopes that any readers would offer up their advice or thoughts on my design idea. It's looking like my construction buddies will be able to help out this weekend, so hopefully we can get things up and running.

It's pretty funny.... Your bar looks a lot like mine. Bar, keezer, TV wall mounted near window (for Sport!), and themed wall decorations. Looks like you got all the essentials except yours is fully home made! I put a regulation dart board in and that was a cool and inexpensive addition. The other thing that I did that worked really well was I wall papered the bar top with patches (my bar has a naval aviation theme) and you can do the same with a collection of essentially anything that is a label. Here is a link to how I did it but it sounds like you pretty well got it wired. Here's a link to the set up I built if interested. Cheers!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/naval-aviation-home-bar-517559/

Looks like bar construction will begin on Saturday. We got the freezer up on wheels last night and finalized the locations and dimensions of everything. It looks like my bar top will be quite a bit wider than the standards, allowing for the keezer to be completely concealed under the bar with only a coffin box on top. I had thought about narrowing the bar that wasn't on top of the keezer, but it will end up being less than half of the total bar length. So, it appears that my bar top will be about 35" across. The bar will be about 7' long. I'm going to do one lost mock up with styrofoam tonight to make sure I like the way its going to look.

Do you just roll out the freezer to load/unload? I am wanting to do something similar, but having a problem with design based on this.

Latest posts

Back