add yeast to lager before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wikki

Reaction score
I've got a lager that's been going for a few months now and I'm getting ready to bottle it. My question is should I add any more yeast or do anything else to make sure it carbonated up properly or should I just add the sugar and let it rip?

I've got a packet of dry yeast that I could use if I needed to do that, although it's an ale yeast.

I think i've got it figured out. Shoudl have done more searching before posting.
How do I just delete this thread?

I think i've got it figured out. Shoudl have done more searching before posting.
How do I just delete this thread?

We don't have thread deletion available for folks. Every discussion and question is valuable, and you can feel free to ask any question you'd like.

Even though you've got it figured out now, for others I will just say that I've found that using about 1/3 of a package of a neutral dry ale yeast, about 3-4 grams, helps alot with carbonation during bottle conditioning. I boil up the priming solution, cool it, add the dry yeast, and then rack the beer into it to mix. It works great for me.

Thanks wikki for asking and thanks Yooper for answering. This is just the question and answer I was looking for. I have been lager my World's Best Oktoberfest all summer and am now ready to bottle it. I usually keg, but I brewed this batch specifically for a friend and want to bottle it for him (well, let's be honest...for us), and wondered if I needed to help it along at all.

Yup, thanks for not deleting! I was wondering the same as I finally have a fridge to lager in and want to make a pilsner.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Do you think if I rep itch some us-05 into my Doppelbock at bottling that it would be good to keep them at 60 F, so the remaining lager yeast doesn't get upset with a higher temp?

If the lager yeast is finished I don't think it would matter. The fresh ale yeast will be ready to rock n' roll on the priming sugar and carb up.

If its been a couple of months then more yeast is a good idea, I've been making a few lagers lately and they carb up just fine with no added yeast, been in the carboy about 1 month.

Back