using homemade apple syrup to increase gravity instead of other sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been too long but cider making & brewing season are off and running for me this year! I made a test gallon batch of hard cider using motts apple juice, cote des blanc yeast, and a bottle of apple syrup I purchase months ago. I loosely followed the 5 day sweet country cider recipe, but never took a gravity reading. After the 7th day I tried it and it was delicious! I'm not sure if it is the yeast, or usng the apple syrup or both but everyone who sampled it thought it was excellent. I just started 6 gallons of this cider Saturday.

I couldn't remember where the hell I bought that apple syrup, and after visiting 3 grocery stores with no luck, I made my own. I took 1 gallon of apple juice and let it simmer, never boiling, on medium heat for over 4 hours. I added 2 cups of white table sugar at the end to sweeten it up some more. I reduced it down to 4-2/3 cups of apple syrup and it tasted damn good on its own I might add! I cooled it down in a salt water ice bath before mixing it in with the 6 gallons I had already waiting for me in my fermentation bucket.

The gravity before the syrup addition was 1.045. With the syrup it was 1.062 which is what I was aiming for. I'm going to take a reading this Saturday and a taste test to see where it's at and go from there. If its strong enough and good enough i'll bottle early and pasteurize it then start one to bulk age. If it tastes too young then I'll bulk age that batch and start another few gallons to have as my quick cider. I want to have a slow aged cider and a quck to drink cider going at the same time, and I hope I can use this recipe for both.

Back to my point: Anyone else use apple syrup, homemade or otherwise, in their cider?

Whats the brand and what does the bottle say on it?

PS I like the term "Quick Cider" I've always used the term "Something to get drunk off of"...for me it's a 2-1 ratio. 40 L gone until 20 L can age decently.

Whats the brand and what does the bottle say on it?

PS I like the term "Quick Cider" I've always used the term "Something to get drunk off of"...for me it's a 2-1 ratio. 40 L gone until 20 L can age decently.

Brand and bottle of what, the apple syrup or the juice? I don't remember the brand of syrup but the ingredients were apple juice and sugar. Some of the juice was Motts and the rest was a local generic brand. I am hoping this cider will taste as good off the bat as my tester did. If not I'll let it age and do its thing.

1 week later it's down to 1.010 from 1.062 (6.9% abv currently). It tastes delicious so far as anticipated. Still a good apple taste and no harsh alcohol taste at all.

ForumRunner_20130928_124213.png

ForumRunner_20130928_124232.png

ForumRunner_20130928_124400.png

It's been over 4 months and I haven't yet cracked this bucket open yet. I recently moved and had to transport it in the car. That was about 2 weeks ago so it should be settled back down by now. I will open up the fermentation bucket soon to get a taste test and a gravity reading. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Red Jacket Orchards makes an Apple Molasses that I have used with very good results on ciders, but it wasn't cheap .. I think it was $7 for 12 ounces .. (i don't see it listed on their site, i bought it last year at the red jacket orchard in geneva, ny)
http://redjacketorchards.com

another thing i have considered using but cost was prohibitive was the Williams-Sonoma cider concentrate (i think this is seasonal and not currently available in the regular WS stores but I have seen it at their outlets for 50% off)
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/apple-cider-concentrate/

Latest posts

Back