Rookie sugar mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsan

Reaction score
So, I just bottled my first cider in over 20 years. Just realized now, I'm looking at a full unopened bag of sugar I was supposed to pitch in during primary fermentation.

This baby bubbled like hell for two weeks on the sugar that was present. What type of approximate alcohol content can one expect from straight pressed apple juice?

I know I know, time to invest in a hydrometer. Just getting back in and need to sneak in pieces slowly so the wife doesn't freak...

Without a hydrometer, you won't know. But generally, you can guess that you'd be in the 5-7% ABV area if the apple juice was typical, and it fermented dry.

Hydrometers are $5. They are small. Your wife might not notice.

Without a hydrometer, you won't know. But generally, you can guess that you'd be in the 5-7% ABV area if the apple juice was typical, and it fermented dry.

Hydrometers are $5. They are small. Your wife might not notice.

You haven't met my wife ;)

Next on my list :) First was a bottle brush LOL

Wives ALWAYS notice! She can buy $300 in assorted purses and shoes and that's OK...I buy a pack of Tick Tacks and I get the riot act about money management!

You could add sugar in the secondary and up the ABV, or just go with it and enjoy a lighter cider. Either can still taste great. However... if you piss off the wifey, the higher ABV might be the way to go.

As long as you have not racked it off the yeast you can add it direct with no problem. I know that Kirkland pressed apple juice by itself is about 5% maybe a tad less. So I think it depends on the brand.

Back