Questions about my first batch of cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
For Valentines day My wife and I put together a batch of cider. I was waiting for my real kit to arrive so I made a 2 gallon batch in my Mr. Beer fermenter. I used 2 gallons of pasteurized not from concentrate apple juice, 1 pound of honey, a couple shakes of cinnamon. I used dry Red Star champagne yeast and a heaping teaspoon of yeast booster. For the yeast I re hydrated the yeast in a cup of water I boiled for 5 minutes and added a little sugar and booster to and let sit for about 6 hours. My hydrometer read 9% potential alcohol.

Being in my Mr. Beer I cant see bubbles in a airlock but a day after letting it sit I could see a ton of bubbles rising in it. I checked the SG last night and it is a half a line from 1.000. I though it would take longer than that to ferment, it is still very cloudy and you can smell the alcohol when you walk up to it. It still has the back taste of sweetness and you can really still taste the apples still. But it is extremely tart. But I did expect the tartness.

My questions are:
1. Should it have fermented so quickly?

2. I was thinking of mixing in another 1 pound of honey and a thawed, frozen apple juice concentrate. would this be a bad idea?

3. I plan to bottle condition for about 8 months is that going to be long enough?

Thanks,
Marcus

1. Should it have fermented so quickly?

"If you can smell apples coming out of the air lock than it fermented to quickly". As fast as yours fermented out there is no doubt in my mind that it went to fast. It is not like this is a huge issue, it IMHO would have been better if it had taken longer but you have not ruined your cider by it fermenting quickly.

2. I was thinking of mixing in another 1 pound of honey and a thawed, frozen apple juice concentrate. would this be a bad idea?

to what end?? are you trying to backsweeten?? up the ABV?? add more sugars because you you are worried it fermented out to quickly?? It is probably not a bad idea but to answer for sure I would need to know why you want to do it.

3. I plan to bottle condition for about 8 months is that going to be long enough?

the simple answer is anything over 3 months is fantastic. Also the higher the ABV the longer it needs to age

Thanks for the fast reply. The main reason for the extra addition was more flavor.

One thing I did but forgot to say in the original post is I heard a very very small amount of olive oil would help the yeast in a high gravity mix. I took a small piece of sterilized aluminum foil diped the tip in oil and swished it around in the cider a little.

All should be ok though it did go off quickly. Was it extremely warm where the Mr Beer was sitting? It's usually preferred to keep the primary in a slightly cool area so the yeast can take its time. I'd prefer to see the yeast take about a week to stop bubbling. Try different yeasts too eg. folks around here like Nottinghams.

But at the end of the day, if it tastes good to drink and the alcohol level makes you happy, you have succeeded!

GOP, Thanks. The Mr. beer is sitting in my basement. it stays around 62 down there.

On the way home I went ahead and picked up another pound of honey and a frozen concentrate of apple juice. I added them with a pinch more yeast booster. here is the gravity readings so far.

2-14-12 , 1.070
2-19-12 , 1.005
2-21-12 , 1.005 before additions of honey and juice.
2-21-12 , 1.040 after additions of honey and juice.

Do these numbers seem right? it's my first time using a hydrometer.

I tasted it after the additions, man it was good. I couldn't believe it. I have a feeling it ferment out really dry and at about 14% ABV. I'm going to look into ways to back sweeten because my wife likes a sweet cider. But I will still want to bottle carbonate. How would Stevia work and add it into the bottle with the priming sugar? I was thinking of doing a couple of bottles non carbonated, what do most people here do?
Thanks,
Marcus

I wanted to post up a continuation of this brew.

I just took a gravity reading of this. It came out right at 0.98. I am curious can my hydrometer be off? how can it go under 1.00? It still had a lot of co2 in it, can that through off the reading?

It doesn't show any signs of clearing up. is there any thing other than time that will help with clearing this out? I really want to get it in bottles soon and want to limit the sediment in the bottom. I want to bottle it to age because of it being in a Mr. beer with out a air lock.

Sorry for all the questions.
Marcus

alcohol is slightly thinner than water so if the ABV is high enough you will get a reading of less than 1. As for getting the sediment out I would transfer it to a secondary fit it with an airlock and let it bulk age. Just a thought.

I would like to bulk age it but all I have is 5 gallon carboys. I fear there would be too much air in there.

I'm going to see if I can get a 2 gallon jug. Can i rerack this onto some Spanish moss and gelatin to help clear if up?

Marcus

You said the co2 is still coming out so that tells me there is probably still yeast in suspension and it will probably clear up on its own with time. I would rack it and let it sit, then if it doesn't clear add something to help it clear.

Also looking back at your original post you said you boiled the juice and I didn't see any pectic enzyme in your list of ingredients. If that is the case it could be you have pectic haze which will not clear up.

I am not that familiar with Irish moss as I have never used it, but based on what I have seen it is mostly used in beer not wine so I don't know it it would be a good idea. Gelatin is commonly used as a fining agent in wines and may be a good idea if your cider doesn't clear up with time.

This is going to be something you should not try for several months. Put it in secondary for a month. If there is 1/4 inch or so of lees, rack it again. Age for at least 6 months before trying.

Back