Overcarbed in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macville

Reaction score
So about 3 weeks ago as I was heading out of town for 3 weeks I realized that the 5 gallons of cider I had going was more than ready (I think it's about 8% by volume) So I quickly bottled it, and got it in the fridge before I left. Yesterday, after I got home, I tried a bottle. Wow. Shaking up champaign wouldn't hold a cork to this, it has some pressure. So my question is, why? I know there was sugar left in the cider, but it went right into the cold fridge. It should have carbed a little, but not this much. Anyone know why it went so crazy? I can drink it, but I have to carefully use a pitcher to put it in and then pour it (talk about a head!)

So about 3 weeks ago as I was heading out of town for 3 weeks I realized that the 5 gallons of cider I had going was more than ready (I think it's about 8% by volume) So I quickly bottled it, and got it in the fridge before I left. Yesterday, after I got home, I tried a bottle. Wow. Shaking up champaign wouldn't hold a cork to this, it has some pressure. So my question is, why? I know there was sugar left in the cider, but it went right into the cold fridge. It should have carbed a little, but not this much. Anyone know why it went so crazy? I can drink it, but I have to carefully use a pitcher to put it in and then pour it (talk about a head!)

If it wasn't done when it was bottled, fermentation continued in the bottle. Be careful- you may find yourself with explosive glass bottles!

But when I bottled it into a cold fridge, shouldn't have been considered a cold rack? Or did I need to get it into a fridge for a day and then bottle it cold?

But when I bottled it into a cold fridge, shouldn't have been considered a cold rack? Or did I need to get it into a fridge for a day and then bottle it cold?

Fridge temperature won't completely stop a ferment. It my knock some of the yeast out of suspension, and put most to sleep but not all.

So what do you do to stop the ferment if you want a slightly sweet cider? I've always understood that the fridge temps stops the ferment.

So what do you do to stop the ferment if you want a slightly sweet cider? I've always understood that the fridge temps stops the ferment.

If you want to bottle sweet sparkling cider goto the sticky on Pasteurization that Pappers put together.

There is another thread to search for. Look for "Cider House Rules" thread.

Thanks RukusDM, that makes a lot of sense. Now here's a question. Could I open all the bottles, pour out the cider into a sterile bucket, and then re-bottle with a pasteurize process like the sticky shows?

You put it in the fridge to drop the yeast out of suspension, and then rack off it. Some yeast will slowly work even at fridge temperatures. I keep a lot of yeast slurry in mason jars, and I have to periodically relieve the pressure.

Thanks RukusDM, that makes a lot of sense. Now here's a question. Could I open all the bottles, pour out the cider into a sterile bucket, and then re-bottle with a pasteurize process like the sticky shows?

There's no need to pour it into a bucket and rebottle, unless I'm misunderstanding. Just open the bottles and release the pressure. Recap and pasteurize (if that's the process you want to use).

I agree with Pappers, but I think the problem is that each bottle, when opened, is going to foam out half the liquid in this case. Doing that over a bucket reserves more liquid to then rebottle.

Back