my continued adventures in apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyandy

Reaction score
So last sunday i made my first 5 gallon batch of apfelwein. It seemed stuck, so i pitched another packet of red star montrachet. At the suggestion of my LHBS, i pitched half a teaspoon of LD Carlson yeat nutrient with the new yeast packet. I waited another day or so and there was definitely activity.

I read the directions on my LD Carlson nutrients and it suggest 1 teaspoon per gallon of must. I then added another 4.5 teaspoons of the nutrient to to the already fermenting sour.

I wake up this morning and the cider has taken off like a rocket! foam has pushed through the airlock and i've been forced to move to a blowoff tube for edworts apfelwein! i was under the impression that fermentation wouldn't be this vigorous and now i'm wondering if i over fed the yeast with the nutrients. Has anyone seen anything like this? I was not expecting this kind of fermentation.

Its because you added the nutrients. If it was ammonium phosphate you added a nitrogen source, if it had other vitamins in with it, well, that just increases the potential.

I would recommend against using that much in the future though, I find in larger doses it leaves a slight off flavor.

Latest posts

Back