First batch of Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xasterus

Reaction score
Just racked my first batch of cider into secondary. Its a one gallon batch. Started with store bought 100% apple juice from concentrate. Added no sugar. Used Redstar Champagne yeast. The SG was 1.044. I left it in primary for 7 days. It was at .998 today when I put it into secondary. When I put the airlock in it was bubbling away again. I plan on leaving in secondary for 3-4 weeks adding potassium sorbate then sweeten and "bottle" (mason jars). Does all this sound right or am I doing everything wrong?

xasterus said:
Just racked my first batch of cider into secondary. Its a one gallon batch. Started with store bought 100% apple juice from concentrate. Added no sugar. Used Redstar Champagne yeast. The SG was 1.044. I left it in primary for 7 days. It was at .998 today when I put it into secondary. When I put the airlock in it was bubbling away again. I plan on leaving in secondary for 3-4 weeks adding potassium sorbate then sweeten and "bottle" (mason jars). Does all this sound right or am I doing everything wrong?

As long as you're not planning on carbonating it that should work. I would be extra careful though since you are planning on sweetening it. Potassium Sorbate is not a guarantee that some re-fermentation will not occur.

Like bottlebomber said, be careful with the mason jars. If the lids even begin to bulge out crack the seal and let the pressure out.

Back