fermenter geometry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapaglia

Reaction score
OK so maybe its not a big deal but as an engineer I wonder. I have a 3 gallon Better bottle that is rectangle shaped. What kind of effect can fermenter geometry have on fermentation?

Nooks and crannies have a way of collecting small particles like yeast when a current swirls past them. So possibly the yeast will collect somewhat in the corners of the square shaped fermenter. This may lead to areas where the yeast is so densely populated that it uses up all the nutrients in that area. This in turn may lead to stressed yeast or a lot of unnecessary dead yeast. All this can be avoided by swirling the bottle every one or two days. A round bottle will collect somewhat in the middle but will otherwise facilitate the even distribution of the yeast.

just my €0,02 ;)

No, Surface area is neglagible. I would question the ability of the wort to move the way it should....See Video,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-oGZT5-xKA]YouTube - Irish Red[/ame]

and am now interrested in making a 6 gallon batch, and splitting it to a round and a Square and seeing what happens!

No, Surface area is neglagible. I would question the ability of the wort to move the way it should....See Video,

YouTube - Irish Red

and am now interrested in making a 6 gallon batch, and splitting it to a round and a Square and seeing what happens!

dude... that wort was possesed by alcodeamons!! the end product is unsafe to drink! look at the way it slithers and writhes... as if the hounds of hell are swimming in it.

you should ship it to me here in maui so that I can exorcize the deamons by running it through my mighty intestines and blessed kindneys :D

<video snip>

If you do this I will pray for you and scan the horizon for any signs of anger from the gods.

I am in Centennial so you are not that far from me.

Seriously if you try this let us know. I am interested in seeing the results.

Vessel geometry has a great deal to do with the outcome of the finished beer, as does everything else. can the average person tell.....probably not.
JJ

Latest posts

Back