Cider unusual fermentation signs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexmsmith12

Reaction score
I have four gallons of cider fermenting. Added 2lbs of brown sugar and pitched a british ale yeast. After 72 hours, had no activity in the airlock. Just a small amount of sediment on the bottom of the carboy. Threw in some yeast energizer, figuring that would get things cranking. After another 72 hours minimal signs of fermentation.

Was concerned maybe I had pitched some bad yeast. So I decided to get a good starter going with some champagne yeast. The airlock is bubbling away at a slow, but steady pace. Good amount of sediment at the bottom of the carboy, but now I do have some concerns.

The first being, at the top of the cider are small islands of bubbles. There are also brown floaters right below the surface of the cider. Are either of these signs of infection? I have done two other batches of cider and have not seen anything like this.

Sounds fine to me. You might have a slight leak between the carboy and the airlock. Give it a gravity reading if you are unsure. You shouldn't use airlock activity as a sign of fermentation.

Good. It is just I have never seen brown floaters in the carboy before, or these little bubble islands.

Latest posts

Back