Brewing my first cider, is this juice ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osubeavs

Reaction score
I'm about to use sumersolstice's Johnny Jump Up Cider recipe to make my first batch of cider. I picked up Tree Top 100% Apple Juice From Concentrate. On the back it reads:

Ingredients: apple juice from concentrate (water, concentrated apple juice)

-No sugar added
-Not a low calorie food
-PASTEURIZED
-Must refrigerate after opening
-For best quality and freshness use withing 7 days after opening

Here are some links to pictures of the juice:
front of container
back of container
close up of label

I would like to be 100% sure that this apple juice is good to use. It doesn't mention any preservatives, but it also doesn't say preservative free. Does anyone know?

Thanks for the help.
:mug:

I picked up a few gallons at Costco and had a good batch. Used the Safale S04 yeast and it took about 3 weeks to ferment. Much sweeter than the champagne yeast, but was drinkable right away.

Oh, I ran out of bottles when I had about a half gallon to go. I drank that half gallon that night. I look forward to giving the other bottles some time to age.

Costco special it was! Thanks for the help guys. I'm looking forward to my first batch of cider.

Oh, I ran out of bottles when I had about a half gallon to go. I drank that half gallon that night. I look forward to giving the other bottles some time to age.

Did you let it carbonate before drinking it? I used champagne yeast for a more dry taste.

I actually just bought two gallons of this same juice. I'm using two yeast strains to see if I like one better than the other - bubbling right along after only a couple hours

Did you let it carbonate before drinking it? I used champagne yeast for a more dry taste.

This particular batch I did not carbonate. The first batch, using different juice, I did bottle carbonate. I find that I like the non-carbonated better. Just my preference. My girlfriend likes to have hers carbonated. I think I am going to have to do a batch for her, then a batch for me. I think I have about 40 bottles of non-carbonated in the fridge right now, a batch in primary ferment that's getting close to racking to secondary, more juice ready once the primary fermenter is empty, and 3 empty carboys that my girlfriend's grandmother and aunt gave me. I am also on the hook for making wine from the grandmother's grapes next year. Her husband made wine every year with these grapes until he passed away a few years ago.

This particular batch I did not carbonate. The first batch, using different juice, I did bottle carbonate. I find that I like the non-carbonated better. Just my preference. My girlfriend likes to have hers carbonated. I think I am going to have to do a batch for her, then a batch for me. I think I have about 40 bottles of non-carbonated in the fridge right now, a batch in primary ferment that's getting close to racking to secondary, more juice ready once the primary fermenter is empty, and 3 empty carboys that my girlfriend's grandmother and aunt gave me. I am also on the hook for making wine from the grandmother's grapes next year. Her husband made wine every year with these grapes until he passed away a few years ago.

Sounds like you have a lot of brewing to do!

I use the treetop apple juice from Costco for my Cider and works fine. I like to use notty yeast and leaves it at 1.005. A little sweet but not too much. I let my ferment for a month rack and let sit for the next 2-3 months until I need more. The wifes friends really seem to like the stuff.

and Go Beavers! Can't wait until the Tuesday's game.

Latest posts

Back