bottle carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a gallon of marines cider with 12 oz of Apple juice concentrate. Racked to secondary after two weeks, bottled a week later with carb drops. Still has just enough sweetness but has not carbonated after four weeks at 68. Any suggestions?

A question so obvious that I feel silly asking it, but you didn't pasteurize the cider before bottling, did you?

How sweet is enough? You could re-inoculate with new yeast in the bottles if you are sure that you're not lighting a fuse for bottle bombs. I have done that with a Belgian Dark Strong that had all of the yeast die in bulk aging.

I would put the flavor in the semi dry range. It definitely has residual sugar. I was very careful racking it to secondary and no visible fermentation occurred for a week so I bottled with carb drops. I am afraid it might make bombs with more yeast. Thinking of just drinking it as an apfelwein as it tastes pretty good as a still cider. Just trying to solve a mystery as I am a noob.

What were your starting and ending gravities? Also what yeast did you use? I'm just wondering if your yeast might have hit it's alcohol tolerance.

I've found that warming up my cider even a few degrees makes a difference in how long it takes to carb. You may try warming it up to 70+.

So.I didn't take readings because I was too new at the time to realize the importance. I used muntons ale yeast. So I don't think I hit the alcohol tolerance because I made and identical batch and added some frozen blackberries. OG on that batch was 1.060 and is now 1.012 and the cider is dry as any dry white wine I have ever tasted. I added more berries yesterday and fermentation fired right back up.

Back