Apple flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinBeir

Reaction score
I have been brewing cider in small one gallon batches before I commit to a full five gallons. I have been using an organic preservative free unfiltered apple juice, fermenting it with SA-04, priming it with corn sugar, and using a bit of pectin enzyme and yeast nutrient (no extra sugars, spices, etc.). I have been getting great results. I come out with crisp, slightly tangy, champagne flavored cider, which I really enjoy but I seem to have almost no apple flavor. I was wondering if there were any tricks or modifications I could do to produce more apple flavor.

how long are you letting it age??? Age is the key to more flavor. If you are letting it age and are still not getting enough apple flavor try adding some frozen concentrate to the juice, but it will also add more ABV

I let it age for about a month after I bottle it, which is probably not enough time. I also heard I can prime with concentrate but I am not sure how that will work out. I was also wondering when I make a five gallon batch and use WL cider yeast if that will significantly change the flavor?

3 or 4 months would be better but after a month the flavor should start to become more apparent. priming with concentrate is a fantastic way to go, just make sure you use the correct ratio or bottle pasteurize other wise you will end up with bottle bombs. Yeast make a huge difference. I have two 1 gallon batches going, one with domesticated "wild apple yeast" and one with Montrachet and they are totally different ciders. even the color is totally different even though I started with the same juice.

Also, what gravity are you fermenting it down to? I read (and now can attest to) that fermenting to a lower gravity (dry), strips some of the apple flavors found in the residual sugars.

I get down to roughly 1.002-1.005 on Occasion it can hit 1.000 but I like it that dry. As far as the priming goes do yall think I could base it off of the grams of sugar in the concentrate?

Check the back of the package of frozen concentrate... It will tell you how much sugar per serving and how many servings per can.... It's hard to be more specific because different brands contain different sugar contents...

So... for example.. If you have 28g of sugar per serving, and 8 servings per can - you have 8 x 28g = 224g of sugar in a whole can... and you can then figure out how much concentrate you need to add per bottle....

My own experience is that if you want to bump up the "Apple-ness" - then buy the expensive "Organic Apple Juice Concentrate"... Not the cheap stuff.... The cheap stuff is usually lacking the real good Appleyness that the expensive stuff has....

Thanks

Back