Yeast List??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadWitch

Reaction score
I have been on this site for a little while now and have been taking notes (believe it or not) pertaining to the different types of yeasts that can be used and how they interact with different fruits, juices and honeys. Everytime I read a post commenting on a different yeast, I jot it down in my brewing notebook.

My question is has anyone ever posted a compilation of yeasts and their characteristics? Some yeasts are just better with stone fruits than they are with berries. Some are better with apple juice, etc. Some make better cider than wine and vice versus.

Just wondering............

There's that stickied thread in the cider forum that deals with yeast - and Schramm's book deals with yeast types for meads....

Jack Keller has a comprehensive list of yeast strains, and the characteristics of each, on his website. It's not just for mead, as it's a winemaking site, but it's very helpful and I use it all the time as a resource.

the Narbonde 71-B is becoming a very popular yeast for making great mead that doesn't take a year to age to peak flavor (or longer).

staggered nutrient additions, degassing CO2 in the primary, watching pH so it doesn't get too acidic...these also all help to produce a better mead regardless of the yeast.

Back