New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A question about honey prices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #11
bluespook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I live in Lancaster, PA, where Dutch Gold has an outlet. If you want good stuff, they've got it...i.e., varietal honey like orange blossom, blueberry, cranberry, etc. In 5 lb bottles it's $15.75, but if you're interested in a 60 lb bucket, it goes for $106. I've checked local farmer's markets and regular honey, good, but not identified as varietal, runs about $4.00 a pound. I once had my own hives and belonged to the local beekeeper's club...will be contacting some of those folks soon to see what's available. BTW, our local Costco has "clover honey" at $10 and change for 5 lbs.

Blue

It is what it is...a stress-relieving philosophy for a long life!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Is $4 expensive? Yes. Is it a rip off? No.
Considering the expense in bee keeping and the time involved $4 a pound is a fairly reasonable price. The beekeep is probably selling most of his honey in small quantities at prices that would be $5-$8 per pound. If he is selling out then there is not much incentive for him to lose that profit by selling to you at $2/#.

Most of the beekeeps that sell at the local farmers market seem to be selling the larger quantities at about $4/# and don't usually have anything for sale larger than a quart. Even when I did find a gallon of wildflower it was $3/#. Your blueberry varietal is going to be more expensive.

If you can find a smaller beekeep that sells out of his home and make friends he may be more likely to sell any extra to you at a smaller price. Also any keeps that sell mostly wholesale could probably sell 5 gal to you for a reasonable price also.

In some areas inexpensive honey is harder to track down than in other locations. But even at $4/# it is worth it. The Costco honey while a great price and decent quality is just not even in the same category as good raw honey. It is heated and filtered to make it store longer without crystallizing. It is also blended to ensure uniform flavor. However that all makes for a mush less interesting and flavorful product.

Craig

Old 08-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 576 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

[QUOTE=bluespook;784352]If you want good stuff, they've got it...i.e., varietal honey like orange blossom, blueberry, cranberry, etc. In 5 lb bottles it's $15.75, but if you're interested in a 60 lb bucket, it goes for $106./QUOTE]

A 60lb bucket of orange blossom honey for $106.00? HOLY TOLEDO! What a SMOKIN' GOOD DEAL! That's only $1.76/lb. That's what I paid for the lcl. "wildflower (mystery) honey" that's full of knapweed. Shipping would cost me more than the honey is worth, those of you who live near a source such as this are truly fortunate! Regards, GF.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My local apiaries sell 5 gallon buckets for $100. People drive quite a ways to get this honey and it is used in award winning meads all the time. So I don't know how that is price-wise against the competition, but it is close and good so I always pay it without complaint.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #15
crazy
Recipes 

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I am just learning to make meade.

Couldn't help myself to chime in on this topic as I am a beekeeper.

Beecareful of any store bought honey. It is pasturized; heated above 160 degrees F and flashed chilled. Honey heated above 140 will have had it's delicate sugars burned, compair the taste with local raw honey from a beek. Also it has been blended with cheap foreign honeys; ie: China and Argintina; crashing our shores everyday that has high toxin levels, but allowed by our FDA.

I believe Dutch Gold is only a packer these days buying from honey brokers, not very fresh honey here and still more foreign honey.

Buy the best from a local beekeeper, it's not hard to find one, go to the National Honey Board web page at www.nhb.org and click on the honey locator. There you will find a list of keepers in your area.

Expect to pay $120 for 60# fresh raw wild flower honey. Viratials will be a bit more.
Thanks for your patience.
crazy

Old 08-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #16
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forum
Dude! Welcome to the forum.
Expect to have some good friends here!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I purchased a gallon (12 lbs) from a health food store a couple months ago and it was $2.15/lb...just about $25 for a gallon.

Seemed reasonable to me...

Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #18
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I am just learning to make meade.

Couldn't help myself to chime in on this topic as I am a beekeeper.

Beecareful of any store bought honey. It is pasturized; heated above 160 degrees F and flashed chilled. Honey heated above 140 will have had it's delicate sugars burned, compair the taste with local raw honey from a beek. Also it has been blended with cheap foreign honeys; ie: China and Argintina; crashing our shores everyday that has high toxin levels, but allowed by our FDA.

I believe Dutch Gold is only a packer these days buying from honey brokers, not very fresh honey here and still more foreign honey.

Buy the best from a local beekeeper, it's not hard to find one, go to the National Honey Board web page at www.nhb.org and click on the honey locator. There you will find a list of keepers in your area.

Expect to pay $120 for 60# fresh raw wild flower honey. Viratials will be a bit more.
Thanks for your patience.
crazy
can u send some to DC?

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 08-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #19
crazy
Recipes 

Hey I can send honey to DC but the cost of shipping would be very prohibited.

A five gallon pail is approx. 60 lbs and would be around $40 UPS ground to ship a year ago; I'm sure more now. If you live in DC I know a short weekend drive to a small village in Virgina you should find a farmers market with a beekeeper.

Once you find a good reliable beekeeper, treat him right and maybe one day when he has some fresh honey with too high of moisture content you just might beable to get it a dollar a pound or less. I've given it away before.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #20
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

i play hockey with a beekeeper in MD, but he hasn't come through. I offered him 300$ for 140 lbs..... well see....

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Quick Reply