Planning a poltorak mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smn

Reaction score
Poltorak is a type of polish mead, so called 'royal mead', which is supposedly one part water, two parts of honey. A typical polish commercial Poltorak has about 16% alcohol and is insanely sweet. I've been trying to work out how it is actually done and can't seem to make sense of it.

If a poltorak mead would be started by adding all the honey at once, it would have an OG of ~1.305 which is clearly unworkable for yeast. If only a quarter of the honey was added at the start, there is about 20% potential alcohol and a proper fermentation could take place. Yeast-death-by-alcohol could also happen, but lets suppose that more honey will be added just in time for the yeast not to die.

Now if we ferment this mead with a good yeast until it is around 17 percent in strength, we still have the other half of the volume to add, which will be pure honey in this case. Adding that honey would take the gravity to around 1.200 and drop the alcohol level to 8.5%. Now that seems again way too thick for fermentation.

Maybe adding the rest of the honey in two halves could work then? SG would rise to 1.13 and alcohol level to 11.3%. This might be workable for the yeast but still the SG would be only around 1.090 when the yeast will hit 17% again. Add the last quarter of honey and the gravity would be around 1.16 and alcohol percentage around 12.75%. When alcohol hits 16-17% the FG would be around 1.13.

All things considered it looks like adding the honey in even smaller parts in a very controlled fashion, maybe for drops after initial fermentation, just might be able to push the strength high enough so that the strength will be 16% after the final honey drop.

Questions to the more experienced mead makers:
How would you manage aerating, degassing and nutrients in this case?
Would it make sense to do an even lighter initial fermentation in order to be able to drop strength below 10% and get more growth to the yeast colony?
How would you plan the additional honey feeding?
Does anyone know how the Poles actually do it? Cheat distilled mead?

I think I'm going to try this.

Thanks for the links, very interesting! The fermentation stage description in the PDF is unfortunately a bit short but reveals a few details. 1 part honey and 2 parts water would be a good enough starting point, producing a 'violent fermentation' for 6-10 days. After this a 'still fermentation' of 3-6 weeks, during which the rest of the honey is added.

It sounds like a really heavy duty yeast would be needed, and there would be no need to attempt to have the cleanest possible fermentation.

Reading the PDF with more detail, it seems that strength adjustment with ethyl alcohol is allowed. Which means they probably do adjust it with ethyl alcohol. Oh well.

Reading the PDF with more detail, it seems that strength adjustment with ethyl alcohol is allowed. Which means they probably do adjust it with ethyl alcohol. Oh well.

Bingo!
I don't think it is possible to ferment a Półtorak and get to 16% ABV using traditional wine yeast. The combination of residual sugar and alcohol is quite toxic to yeast. I doubt that it can be done with any yeast. That is why they permit fortification.

Even Dwójniak strength meads (1 part honey to 1 part water) are probably not fermentable to 16+% ABV except maybe by turbo yeast. I'm still trying to find a reliable way to do it.

If you try it out, let us know how it goes.

Medsen

Bingo!
I don't think it is possible to ferment a Półtorak and get to 16% ABV using traditional wine yeast. The combination of residual sugar and alcohol is quite toxic to yeast. I doubt that it can be done with any yeast. That is why they permit fortification.

Even Dwójniak strength meads (1 part honey to 1 part water) are probably not fermentable to 16+% ABV except maybe by turbo yeast. I'm still trying to find a reliable way to do it.

If you try it out, let us know how it goes.

Medsen

My friend is planning to start a 'Turbojniak', a dwojniak with a turbo yeast, this week. That would be starting with 1 part honey two parts water, then adding the rest of the honey when the initial fermentation calms down. I'll be starting a champagne-yeast based Trojniak where I'll try to manage the fermentation as well as possible, going for a dwojniak if it looks like being manageable.

I'll post updates when things start happening.

If you can manage to get the Dwójniak up to 20%, and then add the rest of the honey, it should be able to be around 16% ABV.

That is tough to do, but not impossible. Most people make the mistake of adding more honey at the end, and just adding those gravity points to the ones used in the calculation of the ABV. They usually forget to factor in the dilution that the addition of more honey creates, lowering the ABV before the new honey gets fermented. That leads to over-estimation of the ABV by 1-2 points (at least). When you do the calculations properly, or verify the ABV using narrow-range refractometer/hydrometer readings, or doing a spirit indication test, you find that getting beyond 18% is quite difficult.

Medsen

Back