Missing Mead Found!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Alright, so it's not like I have a particularly large apartment, but I recently found 2 gallons of traditional mead in the back of a closet...from December.

The problem is that these were the primarys, and therefore the gross lees are still on the bottom of the jugs. I've heard about problems with lysis of the yeast cells if left on too long, but at the same time i've heard of a winemaking technique called 'sur lie' which essentially means 'on the lees.' I don't know much about either of these, anyone have any thoughts?

I did taste one of them, and it is still pretty hot. There is a slight off character from the yeast, but I'm wondering if its anything I can age out or cover with fruit or something. Anyone else do this or am I the only fool? :p

mike

Well, if the yeast was autolyzed, it would have a definite fecal smell to it, I think. So, I think you're fine.

Aging sur lees is a bit different than what you've accidently done, though! The lees are actually stirred up back into the must to give it some flavor while it ages. I've never actually had the guts to try it though!

I think if it tastes ok, you're golden. Rack off those lees ASAP and I am thinking it'll be one of the best meads you'll ever have. You'll spend your life trying to recreate it!

You might as well take full advantage of this "accident"...

I'd transfer to secondary and forget about it till next spring (about another 8-9 months). Then bottle and don't open till Christmas (about another 8-9 months)...

You'll have just invented the 9-9-9 method of mead making...

PS 999 is the Irish equivalent of 911

I agree that there is a pretty small chance that you have autolysis happening if you could get it past your nose to have a taste.

I would for sure rack, and age for a while longer....just to finish any clearing potential that you may have. I would also give it another 6 months in bottle if you still think it's "HOT" and that will also give it time to recover from Bottle Shock.

Or like the Loweface said....go for the 9-9-9 method. Age won't hurt it at this point, and it's about 99.90% likely that it's going to be pretty damn good.

Alright, good news.

And I really like that Irish 911 idea, makes for a good label :) Either that or ill call it the "got drunk and forgot about it" mead. Prost guys!

oh, btw I cracked a year old mead last Saturday (National Mead Day) wow! best yet. this patience stuff pays off. :)

mike

first of all I would call that a real score.

I assume itl come out well with age, fruit is always a nice touch if your trying to cover something up or not.

Alright, so it's not like I have a particularly large apartment, but I recently found 2 gallons of traditional mead in the back of a closet...from December.

The problem is that these were the primarys, and therefore the gross lees are still on the bottom of the jugs. I've heard about problems with lysis of the yeast cells if left on too long, but at the same time i've heard of a winemaking technique called 'sur lie' which essentially means 'on the lees.' I don't know much about either of these, anyone have any thoughts?

I did taste one of them, and it is still pretty hot. There is a slight off character from the yeast, but I'm wondering if its anything I can age out or cover with fruit or something. Anyone else do this or am I the only fool? :p

mike
Hi MLynchLtd: Racking off the lees ASAP & waiting is the best thing to do I think; though there are some yeasts that can add some desirable qualities when mead (or wine) is aged on the lees. Lalvin D-47 is one of them (as per Jack Keller) "although when left on the lees, ripe spicy aromas with tropical and citrus notes develop." You can read his whole yeast list here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp I've left melomels on D-47 lees for as long as 6 months with no ill effects, though I never noticed any of those "ripe, spicy aromas" either. Hope you find this info useful, GF.

Latest posts

Back