Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Medieval Burnt Mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #221
centworthy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaidyn
I just started a batch of this a couple of weeks ago, carmelized the honey on the stove inside. I have a good range hood that vents outside, but the house (and the neighborhood, for part of the evening!) smelled a bit of burnt marshmallow. It's fermenting pretty slowly, but steadily. Patience....yeah, I know.
Burnt marshmallow huh, I burnt buckwheat honey for my bochet and the house smelled like a barn for 3 days. But should mention that even though I burnt the honey until it was black there was no smoke or burnt smell, just the the manure smell. Luckily this technique took all that nastiness out of the honey. It's in the secondary now and tasted like molasses at the first racking. No off favors, just dark, slightly sweet, molasses flavors. Keeping this batch pure for now. Will consider spicing it up should any off flavors come up, but from my limited mead experience, they tend to get better with age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #222
BlueHand
Recipes 

I want to +1 on doing this outside. In fact, it is best outside during the winter. The bees can be overwhelming. My garage stunk for weeks after boiling the bochet.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #223
Sharkman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think 20 pounds of boiling honey smells good in the house. lol Also, I avoid the swarms of bees that gather at my window screens.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #224
TattooedViking9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm just going to have to try this sometime VERY soon! It sounds almost too awesome to fit in a 1 gallon jug. Might just have to break out the big buckets for this recipe. Don't want to wait until I'm 60 to have the 2nd batch ready! lol

Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #225
p4ttythep3rf3ct
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We just started a batch on 2/10/13. Slow-cooked the honey for about 6 hours on low heat on the stove.

Word of caution, as many have said, but honey expands 4X or more when heated. The 24 quart kettle we used barley contained the honey (6 quarts) once it started boiling at a low temp. It also went over once when we increased the heat beyond low (and it was already cooking). The honey never really hit a rolling boil, but it caramelized and darkened just the same.

When done the result smelled of a burnt chocolate. Not unpleasant, but unique for sure. Tastes were toffee-like, there was a hint of burnt marshmallow (and dare I say even a whole stage of burnt marshmallow at one point). And then there's the whole cocoa tease going on. Cleanup was pretty easy. And it smells sweeter once the yeast is pitched.

If I were to change anything so far it would be to use a much bigger pot for the boil. The low heat allowed for no real need to constantly stir, plus we could walk away from the stove for 10 minutes or so without fear of boiling over.

Used a 300mL starter of D47 and am doing SNAs based on YAN ppm calculation. So far it seems pretty good...

Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #226
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Yeah, when I did it, I only used 6 pounds of honey and have a 5 gal pot. It didn't go over but the foam was high. I stired it constantly to get it even. It was a trip to stir what is essentially foam. As it was getting "Done" the foam lessened a bit. It took 45 min to do on low. Then I added my water. Yes it flash steamed the first few cups instantly but I kept pouring my water in and then I added another 6 pounds for more complexity. I am looking forward to back sweetening it in a couple of weeks.

Matrix

Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #227
stinkmuis
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 78

well, I am a beekeeper and have spare honey enough. I will give this a try as soon as i have a empty fermenter. Sounds great, and i like the idea of making something different and medieval.

Thnx topic starter!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #228
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just made a 2 gallon batch. Boiled honey for 30 minutes till a nice deep dark red color. OG was 1.100 using 6 lbs honey, taste was very interesting and has me excited/dreading my wait.

I put it in a plastic bucket for primary, how long so yall think until I transfer to two, 1 gallon carboys

Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #229
p4ttythep3rf3ct
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
Yes it flash steamed the first few cups instantly but I kept pouring my water in....
Matrix
Cool deal. I actually had another pot of very-near boiling water next to the honey boil. Figured if there water was closer to boiling already there wouldn't be a violent reaction. It worked pretty well, nothing ever erupted or anything close to that.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #230
Letthegirlsing
Recipes 

So... any word on how the mead tasted? I am fascinated by the idea and was curious of the results

Quick Reply