New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > maple wine/mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
bonsai4tim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default maple wine/mead

1 month ago I diluted 1 1/3 quart of maple syrup to 1 gallon, with an OG of 1.110, added yeast nutrient, and champagne yeast.

Very active fermentation for about 1 week, then started clearing.

Its now a pale gold color, SG down to 0.980.

It still tastes sweet and slightly maple flavored. Not nearly as strongly maple flavored as when I started. Its very thin, almost no body, and the sweet is a a little unbalanced.

Any thoughts on adding acid blend and/or grape tannins? As sweet as it still tastes, it will be hard to drink much at one time (never mind the 17% abv).

Maybe bottle in 375 wine split bottles?

t

as far as costs--I used whole foods grade b maple syrup, $14/ quart

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
fatbloke
Complete nugget!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai4tim View Post
1 month ago I diluted 1 1/3 quart of maple syrup to 1 gallon, with an OG of 1.110, added yeast nutrient, and champagne yeast.

Very active fermentation for about 1 week, then started clearing.

Its now a pale gold color, SG down to 0.980.

It still tastes sweet and slightly maple flavored. Not nearly as strongly maple flavored as when I started. Its very thin, almost no body, and the sweet is a a little unbalanced.

Any thoughts on adding acid blend and/or grape tannins? As sweet as it still tastes, it will be hard to drink much at one time (never mind the 17% abv).

Maybe bottle in 375 wine split bottles?

t

as far as costs--I used whole foods grade b maple syrup, $14/ quart
well the high-ish, %ABV is probably accounting for the lack of body, though strangely enough if it does still taste sweet that would be really strange with a gravity reading that low.

You could indeed, add some acid of some sort, that often counteracts too sweet a taste.

Or you could use some tannin powder (usually grape based). Either way, I wouldn't use both at the same time.

I'd try one or the other, and add a very small amount at a time until you get close to the taste you like, don't go over the top. Then leave it to age a while.

Did you take a pH reading to know how "acid" it already is ??? as you wouldn't want to use acid if the pH is already low i.e. less than 3.5 to 4.0 pH

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
TheRabidKumquat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

What about throwing some oak cubes in it for a while? That would add tannins, and possibly some mouthfeel to "fill" it out a bit.

The few dry meads I have also felt very thin and out of balance. I should've done something to them, but they were some of my first batches and I had a "let it alone" attitude at the time. The dry vanilla definitely would have been much better had I tried adjusting the acidity, but it mixes greatly with an overly sweet chocolate.

Quick Reply