Bottling a Sweet Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcnjdeluca

Reaction score
About 10 months ago I made this post;

Hello I am familiar with basic home brewing, but new to Meads and Ciders. I am brewing up a batch to hopefully give out as gifts next Christmas. So far everything is going well. Here is recipe I used for a 5 gallon batch.

7 lbs of generic honey
4 gallons of organic Wegmans Apple Juice
32 Ounces of Tart Cherry Juice
A mead nutrient pack
Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast

I brewed this up on January 25th and it had a specific gravity of approximately 1.096 (I say approximately because I did not calibrate for temperature.)

I racked the cyser from the brew bucket to a better bottle tonight adding a little water to top it off and got a specific gravity of 1.019.

It actually tasted pretty good but its not super strong only about 10% ABV. Since I am going to be aging/storing this at least another 10 months I was wondering if there where any additional steps I need to take to make sure it ages well. Should I add Campdem tablets? Or bottle it sooner? Thanks for any advice!

Dan

Well its that time and I want to bottle it. I have not touched it since. My question is,do I need to do anything before bottling? Or should I just rack it up and see how it turned out? THANKS!

Dan

Thanks for the reply, I will defiantly do that. I am thinking of cold crashing it to clear it up a little.

So my understanding is that I should cold crash it first, for about 2 days then add the campden and the potassium sorbate.

A couple of questions;

Do I defiantly have to re-rack it before cold crashing or can I just put the better bottle in the fridge, and then rack it to a bottling bucket when I am ready?

Will any wine type bottles work, or should they be dark glass?

Thanks again,
Dan

Okay I did a little more reading, on the site and it seems like I should do the following procedure.

1. Cold crash the cyser to drop as much yeast from it as I can. (today)
2. Re-rack it adding 1 campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate per gallon. (the 21st)
3. Let that sit a few days to clear/stabilize
4. Bottle it and enjoy christmas cyser?

Sound good?

Dan

Sounds good! Yes any wine bottle will work. I even like the clear ones (because I can show people what it looks like).

Wine can get "lightstruck" which will give it a taste similar to that of oxidation. But as long as you aren't leaving them out in the sun displayed in your window for weeks it should be fine.

Dark bottles are more important for beer because of UV light's effect on hops (skunking) which is much easier to do than light striking a wine.

Back