Amount of oak cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMARIPA

Reaction score
I bought a couple ounces of oak cubes and am planning on splitting up my 6 gallon batch of traditional mead to see what effect the different types have. I'll need a gallon of plain, and I plan to do batches with American, French, and combo. Maybe I'll also do a heavier oaked batch as well for comparison and then I'll bottle the rest now. How much of the oak cubes should I use for each batch.

You're splitting the 6 gallons into individual gallons, right? If so, go lightly. The cubes are made for long term aging. I would suggest 1/4 oz per gallon and let it ride. If you feel it isn't developing the oak flavor you want after time, add a little more. Remember, it's easy to add more, it would take a LONG time to age out if you added too much.

The other thing you should do is split it into 1 gallon batches with varying amounts of oak in 3 (High to low amounts). Then you keep the other 3 without oak and blend to your liking.

Back