Wannabe homebrewer in San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilInkarnate

Reaction score
What's up everybody?? I'm in need of a hobby (see my profile) and decided homebrewing would be a good one for me. I'm in the Navy and stationed in San Diego, so any local SD people would be cool to talk to once I figure out what I'm doing. Which, right now I have absolutely no idea of what I'm getting into. Kinda hoping someone will take a kick ass n00b like me under their wing. If anyone can recommend a good starter kit up to about $200 it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and feel free to hit me up on e-mail.

- Kage

Welcome to HBT!
This is really more of an obsession than a hobby but you can pretend it's just a hobby if you want. :D

You can get started with a very good kit with $200. The link below can get you started shopping. My favorites are Austin Homebrew Supply, Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer. Most of the starter kits are similar and all are good.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/homebrew-supply-websites-701/

edit: It's not a good idea to post your email. Spammers love that.

Thanks for the advice. I say hobby only because I haven't started yet. I was talking to this officer on watch with me just now and he saw my Homebrewing For Dummies book and started telling me that he used to brew. It deffinately sounds like something that could quickly become an obsession. I appreciate the advice, and the tip to edit out my e-mail address. Thanks again and I'll check out the link. any advice on a size for a boiling pot??

Wannabe....willbe....gonnabe.......can'tstoppabe.....gottadoitmoreabe....crapIruinedmymariageabe......Welcome. You are doomed! :D

Kage,

San Diego is a hotbed for homebrewing and brewing in general. The best thing for you to do is join the biggest and best local homebrew club QUAFF. That stands for Quality Ale Fermentation Fraternity. Go to their website www.quaff.com. The have won the state and national titles several times. You will meet many people, get to taste some great beers and also travel to CA beer sites. Also, many of the members have become proffesional brewers, Alesmith, Whitelabs, Stone etc all from QUAFF.

Tom

Thanks for the support from everybody. And I actually did laugh out loud at your post Laughing Gnome Invisible. I think part of my tax return is what I'm gonna use to get my starter kit, so I gotta wait for my W2 on the 23rd. 3 more weeks...I'll let you guys know how I do though.

Back