New here from Joliet IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skandranen

Reaction score
Hey all, I just joined today, I'm just getting started in this wonderful hobby, and I have a question for anyone in my area, regarding the water. Do you use tap or softened, and which option, filtered of course, would be better for my first batch?

Hey man, I'm not from Joliet but I'm not far. If you have city water chances are you'll be fine. Chlorimines can be a problem but the best thing to do is try a batch to see if it turns out. My Hammond city water just so happens to be about perfect!

We are on city well water, which I know is very hard hence the softener, I'll have to try it out and see which turns out better I guess, thanks

Well water can be tricky. My buddy has had about two years of crap homebrew on city well water and only just got down to something palatable. He discovered campden tablets were what he needed to stabilize things for him.

If you're doing extract you have a little more leeway though. AG get's a bit more sensitive.

Back