Brewing techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edruedell

Reaction score
Hi
My name is Eduardo, and I am a brazilian beers fan. I really love them, and I decided to make my own home beer this holiday season. I live in Rio Grande do Sul, and there are several home brewers and good beers here. There is a lot of germans here who make good beer, and some of my family are traditionals beers makers, but them don't want to teach me the Brewering Art.
I just wanna good beer, I wanna be proud of produce my own beer!
Could someonde give me some tips? What quantity of malt and hops for a pint of beer, what equipment to use (I do not have much money),... things like that.
Please, could someone help me?

Cheers!

Most batches of homemade beer are made in 5 gallon batches and vary from a few pounds of grain to 10 pounds and a few ounces of hops.

There are also extract methods which involve a 3 to 6 pounds of malt syrup(sometime pre-hopped) and a few ounces of hops.

It really comes down to which, out of the brazillian beer styles, you want to make.

How to Brew - By John Palmer is a place to start. Try steeping gilberto gil in some water and see if that works. Also Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Story Index - Build It Yourself has some cheap solutions, but homebrewing can be pretty cheap- or as expensive as you can afford. The eventual divorce from your wife will probably be the most expensive part of it. If you are on line, a lot of info and knowledge is out there for free. If you have family that brew, i would suggest hounding them until they let you in. Maybe you can offer to lend a hand, or help out with chores, etc. Do the germans down there wear thongs? that would be awesome. Good luck bro!

howtobrew.com is a good "free" website for learning about "how to brew". When you have brewed a few batches then should be able to re-create any beer you want just by tasting and identifying what ingredients produce the taste you are trying to make!

It can cost $100-$200 USD to get started for most homebrewers. Some brewers can buy their equipment for less and some brewers make their equipment so you may want to research the availability and cost of your equipment and also the supplies like grain/extract, hops, and yeast there in Brazil!

I wish I could be more of a help to you but good luck and I hope you are successful and start brewing soon!

Heeeeeeeeeeey Eduardo. I`m also from Brazil. Goiano living in Brasilia. I`ve been cooking some beer for 3 years. Anyway, let`s get to the point: do you got a refrigerator to use as a fermenter??
I hope so, because the heat in Rio will reduce your beer to crap without proper temp control.
Abraço

Back