Beery in GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitapaynts

Reaction score
Just discovered this little forum. I've been brewing for about 4 years, and seems to me to be a serious shortage of good local beers in GA. (There certainly are a couple, but it is dry 'round here).

Can anyone convince me of a reason to stay in Grad school and not drop out to start a brewery? Seriously . . . .

Cheers!

Welcome! There are several of us on the boards from GA. I live in Valdosta...

gitapaynts said:
Can anyone convince me of a reason to stay in Grad school and not drop out to start a brewery? Seriously . . . .

The hops shortage?!?

Welcome.

Where do you go to school?

Yeah the beer in Georgia could be better but I think we have most other states in the South beat.

Welcome Aboard!!

Ga Coast here. Sweetwater and Terrapin are good but it would be nice to have a few more. What part of GA are you from? Hope you enjoy the madness.

Cheers and Fair Winds,
Kevin

Tidewater Brewing

I'm in Loganville.

I'm going to be (trying) to build another fermentation chiller [like the one in my gallery]. I moved from Hawaii and didnt want to take the bulky thing with me. I'm going to Social Circle tomorrow to see if the insulation place there has 2" thick extruded polystyrene. They have something called "styboard" for 34.56 for a 4'x8' peice. If it is what I'm looking for, I'll post about it.

FYI - It worked really well. I brewed as high as 75 in an un-airconditioned house and as low as 65 and only had to swap 2 liter soda bottles once every 24 hours. After it got down to a low temp, once every 36 or even 48 hours would have sufficed.

Hi just like to add my welcome with all the other Ga. Gang. I agree about the lack of local brews. Gordon Biersch in Buckhead has some good brew althought the dinner food could be better. I like the Sweet Ga. Brown from Sweetwater brewing here in Atlanta. But I love Sam Adams winter Lager, Octoberfest, Black and their porter too althought it's not local.

ya'll think you have it bad in north Ga, come down to good ol' south Ga and try to find some good beer. none existing. with the exception of the home breweries of course.

Welcome, Stockbridge here. I spent the summer in Raleigh, NC and the draft houses
had 100 beers on tap + bottles. You name it and the Tender pours it(Practically).Hard to sample but fun to hunt the Micro Brews in GA.

I'm in Covington, been brewing for a year now and it's gotten pretty addictive. I'm about to fill my first keg as soon as they arrive and I've got another batch in the primary. This is a great website with answer to every question I've been able to come up with. :mug:

Keith

I am in Lilburn, real near Stone Mountain. I have been making clone recipes like Yooperchicks recipe for Fat Tire, or Orphy's recipe for Hobgoglin, and I have never even seen a bottle of one before. Hey Nobes341 in Loganville! You should check out Summit's in Snellville. They have about 300 beers on tap, including lots from Rogue Beer.

I grew up for the most part in GA and went to GA in Brunswick. I miss that area and would much prefer it to Knoxville. Wouuld'nt have to hear about the Viles all the time!:(

We have a few decent shops that carry micros and a brew restaurant called Smokey Mountain Brewery / Calhoun's that have a few beers that are very good.

Like somebody else on here I'm thinking about doing the Fat Tire clone even thought I've never tried the original. (Can't find it here):mad:

Best Regards from a Georgian/Alabamian in exile
Al

I love Smokey Mountain Brewery. I go to Gatlinburg every year and that is the first place we go. Great food and great beer.

Back