Another new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philogeek

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I decided to join up after lurking on here as a guest for a while now. I'm pretty experienced with making wine from kits (enough to occasionally play with the instructions a bit), but I'm brand new to the world of making beer.

I've decided to take the easy introduction by using the Festa Brew kits (no major science involved). Three of 'em are on the go ATM. The results should taste good enough to keep going and try some more involved stuff, so I'm super excited!

See y'all in the threads! :mug:

Mmmm .. Festa Brew. What kinds are you brewing?

I've got 3 on the go right now:

* Pale -> this one is in secondary at this time
* Blonde Lager -> in primary
* Cream Ale -> in primary

REALLY looking forward to drinking these... it's gonna be super hard to wait a few weeks after bottling them up.

I haven't tried any of those, though I do have a friend with the Cream Ale in bottles right now. I have their dry hopped "Extra Special Bitter" in a secondary.

One piece of advice I can give you is to use your own calculations for priming sugar when bottling as their instructions are somewhat generic. I believe they all call for 1 1/4 cups of priming sugar but that's just too much for some of their beer styles, in my opinion, plus they can't really factor in beer losses through racking, etc.

Anyway, you know how carbonated you like you beer and all the styles you have on go can do with a bit of fizziness but do check out the Beer Recipator as it will give you more accurate results. It's never let me down.

One piece of advice I can give you is to use your own calculations for priming sugar when bottling as their instructions are somewhat generic. I believe they all call for 1 1/4 cups of priming sugar but that's just too much for some of their beer styles, in my opinion, plus they can't really factor in beer losses through racking, etc.

Anyway, you know how carbonated you like you beer and all the styles you have on go can do with a bit of fizziness but do check out the Beer Recipator as it will give you more accurate results. It's never let me down.

I'll definitely keep this in mind and that link looks super useful... thanks man! :mug:

Hey, welcome to another Canuck.

Yeah, Festa are alright and I must say the Czech one was the best I have ever tasted, but as it is seasonal, it isn't available yet.

Thanks!

Good to hear about all these other types ... my local store only had a handful (maybe 5, of which I picked the 3 I listed). I'll have to start bugging them about staying current with Festa's offerings!

I've got 3 on the go right now:

* Pale -> this one is in secondary at this time
* Blonde Lager -> in primary
* Cream Ale -> in primary

Well, after reading through many threads on this site, I decided to scrap the directions LOL.
The Blonde and the Cream - I left both in primary for 2 weeks, rather than the 1 called for in the instructions. This past weekend, I racked them into secondary, where they will stay until it feels like I should proceed on them. That's where the Pale is now, as well.

:mug:

Back