Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Kickstarter temp controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
BadWolfBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kickstarter temp controller

Saw this, and jumped in right away:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ure-controller

I have a keezer next to a fermentation chamber, both requiring temperature control. I've wanted to use data logging, or fermentation temperature profiles, etc... and this seemed like the perfect way to do it.

I got the control unit and 2 probes for 175, which comes with some pretty fancy display / control options. Looks like it can be a PID for mash temps, sous-vide, etc... as well.

Thought I'd share the link.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Abhitchc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I saw that too. I am a DIYer though, and would rather build my own with an Arduino for about 1/5 of the cost. Cool gadget though.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
ghoti
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am sure you could make it cheaper but I am not sure if you could make it 1/5 of the cost if you could you would have folks lining up at your door.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Abhitchc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can buy an Arduino for $10 on eBay. Code is free. Throw in another $8 for LCD shield with buttons, and $10 relays wire and resistors. Then find a cheap project box to fit it all in. Cords are a dime a dozen from china. Just sayin...I could think I could make one for about $30-$40.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
nhebner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhitchc View Post
You can buy an Arduino for $10 on eBay. Code is free. Throw in another $8 for LCD shield with buttons, and $10 relays wire and resistors. Then find a cheap project box to fit it all in. Cords are a dime a dozen from china. Just sayin...I could think I could make one for about $30-$40.
Hey, I'm Nick with BrewBit. Just wanted to comment on this a little bit.

This project, like most projects started with us making similar statements. "We could do that so cheaply/easily..." we said to each other. Over the course of the the next 8 months, we found out that developing a product is a TON of work. Sure, each little piece of the project is not that complicated, but 1000 easy things is the same as 1 incredibly difficult thing. The same is true for cost, the individual pieces may not be incredibly expensive, but they add up quick, and back of the napkin type calculations tend not to account for EVERYTHING that will be needed.

That said, I fully support DIY. If you live to build things yourself, then that is great. We love building our own brewing equipment too, hence this project. Now we are just sharing our hard work with the world in this form. If you think it's cool, we would love to have you as backers.

Anyway, I'll step off the soap box now. :-) Keep brewing strong!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think it's really cool. I'd bet that most homebrewers are DIYers. Most can probably do what I did and throw together an STC-1000, a freezer chest, and a paint can heater to get the job done. I'm a mechanical engineer with some background in electrical, but this project offers some cool programming that is a little more than I have the time to figure out. I barely find time to brew! Sometimes an out-of-the-box product is just the way to go, even if it cost more than you could do it for yourself. Some people make their own false bottoms, I bought mine. Sometimes I change my own oil, sometimes I pay a mechanic to do it.

I also develop consumer products and packaging for a living, so I can confirm what nhebner said about product development. It's not too hard to build one or two units, but developing a product to bring to market is a time consuming and costly project. CAD software alone can cost thousands of dollars (some are over $25k/seat!) , prototypes can cost thousands, single cavity molds, reworks when things don't fit right...it adds up to a lot of money. It's tough to bring even a simple product to market.

Good luck, guys!

John

JK Brewing
Primary: Hefe
Bottled: OK-toberfest, Kolsch (honey, strawberry, raspberry), dry stout, IPA

nhebner Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Abhitchc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My comments were not meant to offend anyone. As an out of the box gadget it is really cool. I only stated that i would rather make my own for cheaper. When someone doubted that, I tried to explain that I could. I totally understand that one-offs are far cheaper to build than making hundreds, dealing with large quantities of parts, injection molds, r&d, etc. I like to DIY and I am also cheap, so I make whatever I can whenever I can. The temp controller is very cool, and it looks like it has a lot of interest. I wish you the best! Cheers.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Ibrewaletx
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've put together a STC-1000 myself already but find the program-ability (temp schedule) and 2 separate controllers very nice. Like others, I build a good amount of my own brewery equipment but this is a cool item that I have already backed. I just personally don't have the time to get into andruino / raspberry pi kits & programming.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Since hardware and software are both open source, then I certainly hope this succeeds. Anyone who wants to build their own can do so, while everyone who wants to buy one finished can also benefit. Looks to me like a win-win for everyone.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

nhebner Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
automobiliben
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is something that is already out there that somebody with a bit of ingenuity could modify to work. The HeaterMeter is a Wifi Enabled Temp. Controller for smokers. The temp probe triggers a fan to run at desired temperature set point. Instead of triggering the fan, it could just as easily toggle on and off the refrigerator/freezer. Tons of information about these out there with a bit of Googling.

I plan on building one of these soon for my smoker.

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

Quick Reply