Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #3481
marshallwms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
Don't they all have condensers? I know some are exposed on the rear and others are built into the sides and top.
Some small dorm room coolers use Peltier thermoelectric cooling. From what I have read in other HBT threads on building fermentation chambers, while they may work for ales they don't seem to reach lagering temps.

There are dozens of threads on fermentation chamber builds. What you end up with depends on what you need both in function and in size / looks, as well as price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #3482
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Default Used STC1000 for the first time - Success!

I used a 7.5 cubic meter freezer and STC-1000 for the first time over the past few weeks, after brewing an English bitter. It allowed me to keep a steady 65 degrees during fermentation, and last night I used it to cold-crash the beer in preparation to racking it into a korny keg. The freezer is in the garage, and as temperatures were below freezing last night, I just connected a small, covered lamp to the "hot" side and placed the lamp inside the freezer to keep the beer cold - but not solid! It held at a steady 34 degrees F.

I also plan to use it to keep my beer at the proper temperature for carbonating and serving. It has worked flawlessly so far and seems perfect for the small scale (one beer/one cooler) operation that I have going. If in the future I want to purchase another cooler in order to expand out a bit, I'll definitely get another one of these controllers.

I am thinking of getting another one to monitor mash tun temperatures. Does anyone know what the upper temperature limits are for this device?

Best,

Steve

english-bitter.jpg  

Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #3483
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3251 Times on 3151 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
I am thinking of getting another one to monitor mash tun temperatures. Does anyone know what the upper temperature limits are for this device?
Max working temp - 60C
Max storage temp - 75C
Max control temp - 99C

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
lhommedieu Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #3484
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallwms

Some small dorm room coolers use Peltier thermoelectric cooling. From what I have read in other HBT threads on building fermentation chambers, while they may work for ales they don't seem to reach lagering temps.

There are dozens of threads on fermentation chamber builds. What you end up with depends on what you need both in function and in size / looks, as well as price.
Whoa, thanks for the vocabulary lesson. I felt like something like this existed, but didn't know the name or that it was used in everyday stuff.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #3485
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Noticing more and more American sellers of these things.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #3486
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Just built my third controller. One for the keezer (one switched outlet, one always on) and two dual-stage controllers for my fermentation chambers. Thanks so much for this thread!

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #3487
anderson0196
Recipes 

Is there a way just to search and see all the pictures in a given thread?

I've read that some have used a 4x4x2 junction box - I'm trying to determine if the controller will fit in the face (4x4) side or if it has to be fitted to one of the sides due to the depth?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #3488
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson0196 View Post
Is there a way just to search and see all the pictures in a given thread?

I've read that some have used a 4x4x2 junction box - I'm trying to determine if the controller will fit in the face (4x4) side or if it has to be fitted to one of the sides due to the depth?
It's way more than 2" deep. No question. EDIT: It's 3.34 inches deep.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #3489
socalboomer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I did the 4-4-2 box and it worked okay. Had to nip and trim some stuff inside, but it all fit.

On Tap (Nitro): Chocolate Palomino - just kicked! ACK
On Tap 1: empty. . .On Tap 2: empty. . .On Tap 3: Flawed Garnet (black currant saison)
In Secondary:
In Primary:
Next up: Gold Dust Pale Ale

Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #3490
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default My STC-1000 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklueber View Post
This document is great. It is clear, concise, has pictures; hard to go wrong building a single dual-stage controller if you follow these directions.
I followed these directions and the parts list was very good. I made a slight change at the end and put the face of the controller on the large side of the box instead of the narrow side. It fits barely but without the wiring protector at the back of the controller. No biggie since the box is all plastic.

Quick Reply