....still another Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveg5555

Reaction score
Fridgidaire 7.2cuft from Lowes. Model: FFC0723GB. ~$280 delivered.

My requirements were inexpensive but not necessarily salvaged, black (to match my other stuff in my bar), durable, multiple taps, and easily made by someone with poor carpentry skills. I intentionally made this very tall, 5" casters and 10" collar, because I'm tall I don't want to have to stoop to get a beer. Its not fun getting a keg in there, but I have a step stool and I don't plan on changing a keg everyday. The collar is made from some old teak shelving and pine 2x10. 3 kegs for beer, 1 for root beer. Room for 2 more kegs on the hump and I predrilled for the taps since I know Ill pull the trigger on the 2 new taps sooner than later.

Things I learned:
1. Read about double hinged keezers before you secure your collar (grrr..)
2. The short shanks keep them out of the way of moving kegs, I cant imagine what a pain it would be if they protruded a few inches into the inside.
3. Lumber is warped but caulk is good.

If I had to do it all over again I would buy a larger freezer and a lid mounted (or double hinged) collar. Ive already started trolling CL for a second unit. Took only ~8 hours total to build.
Took 5 full days to cut my bar counter in half, patch flooring, drywall..... so that it would fit in my bar space. Totally worth it. I appreciate all those that posted before me for ideas, inspiration, and advice.

159.jpg

162.jpg

165.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

Hi

Did one with the Kenmore version of the same freezer. Took me through the first party and I decided I needed a bigger one ....

Bob

Things I learned:

Steve,

When you say double hinged do you mean two sets of hinges (one for the collar-body junction and one for the collar-top junction)? That's what I'm planning on for mine but wanted to make sure there wasn't some other method of hinging to consider too.

Thanks!

Yep thats exactly what I meant. Would be nice to be able to lift everything out of the way when moving the heavy stuff around, but still have the ease of access of the original lid for grabbing little things. Good luck.

One other word of advice that Im sure you already know.
Went on vacation last week, came home and all my $10 cheapo faucets were stuck. Took a couple minutes of wrestling to get them to pour. Will be upgrading soon to Perlicks.

agree with the better faucets, I have one that sticks if I don't keep it pretty clean. I have been taking them off every month or so or if I am changing a few kegs (I have room for four). I will eventually upgrade to the perlicks too. My keezer is smaller than yours but I did a simaler caller with 2x8's so I could use the space on the hump for the fourh keg. I also added insulation inside the caller and have it low enough on the edges so I could also add an additional piece of insulation on the top like another lid. Love the looks of the black.
Very nice looking setup you have.

Yep thats exactly what I meant. Would be nice to be able to lift everything out of the way when moving the heavy stuff around, but still have the ease of access of the original lid for grabbing little things. Good luck.

One other word of advice that Im sure you already know.
Went on vacation last week, came home and all my $10 cheapo faucets were stuck. Took a couple minutes of wrestling to get them to pour. Will be upgrading soon to Perlicks.

Thanks Steve! Exactly the same as I was thinking. And yes Perlick's are on the list :mug:

Things I learned:

There are quite a few online appliance repair parts places that have the more or less standard chest freezer hinges available. Using them allows you to have the spring counterbalance both between the freezer and collar and between the collar and lid. They cost a bit more than buying butt hinges or garage door hinges but will fit the OEM holes in the freezer and lid.

FWIW, my keezer has two sets of hinges. I used the original hinges on the collar and I second set of hinges that I took off of a scrap freezer on the lid. I just used the original holes in the freezer for the bottom hinges and attached the top hinges to the collar and then to the trim piece on the lid. I can open the whole assembly to put kegs in or just the top if I need to. It works pretty well. I had to put some spacers boards on the collar to make everything line up...

photo-10-9.jpg

Back