Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > just ordered a 7 cu ft chest freezer...need help converting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
dahray02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default just ordered a 7 cu ft chest freezer...need help converting

hey folks i just ordered a 7 cu ft chest freezer and while i'm waiting for it to be delivered I started going through the keezer threads. I'm new to kegging so couple questions about the conversions. I see most people added wood to the top of the freezer to give more headspace room, is this necessary? can i not just drill 4 tap holes through the side of the fridge? And if i do put the wood on top, i see how the door is attached, but how are you all attaching the wood to the rest of the freezer??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you try to drill through the freezer you will hit the coils that are in the sides and make your freezer a huge piece of junk suitable only as a anchor. You can attach the wood to the freezer with caulking, when dry the stuff holds well. Others have used liquid nails.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
mendesm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahray02 View Post
hey folks i just ordered a 7 cu ft chest freezer and while i'm waiting for it to be delivered I started going through the keezer threads. I'm new to kegging so couple questions about the conversions. I see most people added wood to the top of the freezer to give more headspace room, is this necessary? can i not just drill 4 tap holes through the side of the fridge? And if i do put the wood on top, i see how the door is attached, but how are you all attaching the wood to the rest of the freezer??

You could, but why ruin it and void the warranty?

Put the wood collar on it. In case you need to have it serviced, quickly put it back to stock condition so that the service man won't tell you your warranty is no longer valid because you f'ed it up or used a temperature controller to run it as it has been documented in another thread here.

After the warranty runs out, then everything is fair game.

This is how I'd handle it.

Congrats and have fun with the new project/toy

Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
I see most people added wood to the top of the freezer to give more headspace room, is this necessary?

I think a lot of people do this so they don't have to worry about drilling into the refrigeration lines. Maybe not as much a worry if you got the freezer for free..... but a whole other story if you paid a few hundred dollars for it

Your taps would also be on the low side. Unless you are really short or built a platform to raise it up a bit, you would be bending over to fill up a glass.

If you don't want to put a wood collar on it you might want to take a look at some of the setups where they run taps out the top ( I think they call this "coffin style").

Here's a link to one of my favorite build threads. I love the keezer this guy built. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-build-216039/
Old 07-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Think of the collar as the "tool belt" of the keezer. It's where you can hook up everything you need both internally and externally to your freezer, WITHOUT damaging or needing to modify the freezer itself. Many of us even use silicone caulk rather than glue, that way we can return the freezer back to normal, for instance if we need it repaired and it's under warranty.

I'm in the process of finishing mine today. Here's pics of the outside and inside of the collar to give you an idea WHY a collar is a good idea.

The bottle cap holder, and the drip tray (which should be delivered on Monday) are held on by 3M "damage free" picture hangers.

The front with taps, bottle cap opener and temp controller.

The guts, tap shanks, secondary regulator, and electrical- the temp controller, the temp probe (sitting in water inside the pill bottle on the fermenter bucket) and the power outlet in back.

The rear, where the freezer and fan plug into.

The hinges for the lid.

The fan to circulate air.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
I see most people added wood to the top of the freezer to give more headspace room, is this necessary?
No it's not necessary, however, if the freezer is not tall enough to store the number of kegs you want in it, it gives you some extra head room to work with. Also the compressor adds a hump to the inside, and it lets me put kegs on the hump where you wouldn't normally be able to.

Quote:
can i not just drill 4 tap holes through the side of the fridge?
You could but as other people mentioned you could end up drilling through the cooling coils in the walls of your freezer, and render it useless... So why risk it.

Quote:
And if i do put the wood on top, i see how the door is attached, but how are you all attaching the wood to the rest of the freezer??
If you build the collar correctly, it will fit snugly on there, I put a skirt on mine that tightly fits, and then put a little layer of the sticky weather stripping on there to keep the seal tight.

I have opt'ed to build a pretty tall collar because I myself am pretty tall. I put a 1 foot collar on mine, and I like it so that I don't have to bend over to far when working on it.

Here is the link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/tall...-build-313157/

Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
dahray02
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks for the quick answer...i'll go with making the collar....i dont have any experience working with wood nor do i have all the right tools...i'll have to figure that out, i think i'm going to get all the parts i need first then start working, i expect this to be spread across a couple paychecks :-)

Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
thanks for the quick answer...i'll go with making the collar....i dont have any experience working with wood nor do i have all the right tools...i'll have to figure that out, i think i'm going to get all the parts i need first then start working, i expect this to be spread across a couple paychecks :-)
You don't have to go all fancy and use mitered joints like mine, which I had a brew buddy's dad do on a table saw.

The Northern brewer video shows how they did a very rudimentary keezer collar. They didn't even stain it.

You could do it with a hand saw, and you just also really need a drill, which can also use as a screwgun.

Bobby M's video helped me a lot as well, except he mounted his collar onto the lid.

It gave me some good ideas as to plumbing.

I also learned a ton from reading Carlisle Bob's posts in various keezer threads.

I know what you mean about spreading it between paychecks. Well, I'm over a grand into my keezer, (utilizing the collar design) including the $180 for my 7 cu chest freezer. It's got 3 taps though it can hold 5 kegs. I bought 4 kegs for about $140, Spent about $360 on on the co2 tank and regulator, and all the stuff necessary for the gas and liquid lines (including tap hardware and lines,) I spent about $160 for a secondary regulator. $30 for my Ebay Temp controller. The stuff for making my own taps (in THIS thread.) Everything else was lumber, stain, insulation, sealer, silicone, and all the miscellaneous hardware and crap from home depot and harbor freight, including the electrical stuff for the temp controller..

I also ended up buying an orbital hand sander and a saws-all from Harbor Frieght, and assorted drill bits and such..

I spent $44 on a 12" drip tray, and another $30 for old time bottle opener and cap catcher for decoration.

It came out to be much more than I expected, but I'm happy with it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
When I did my collar, I had 0 tools (4 months ago). As I had just got my first place out of college. My landlord had a circular saw, which I used. You can also go to Home depot and have them cut the pieces exact if you know the dimensions.

If you post the external dimensions of the freezer, I can help you with figuring out the wood piece sizes. The only thing that is really tricky, is remembering that the wood takes up some width too.

http://www.fowlksbrewery.blogspot.com/ - My blog of my journey through brewing

My Keezer Build - The Taller Collar
My Fermentation Chamber Build
My Hop Growing Adventures while renting a Duplex
Revvy Likes This 
Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
dahray02
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

this is the one i ordered....i can post dimensions once i get it and come back from my honeymoon, getting married next saturday

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/applian...ct_description

Quick Reply