Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james3204

Reaction score
Iam just starting to making 1 gal batches till I learn more. but have a question about yeast.
Iam using Red Star wine yeast, and on the package it says its 5grams, on the back it says will make up to 5 gallons. but since iam only making 1 gal batches at a time do I only add 1 gram?
All the recipes I have found just say add 1 package of yeast or just says what kind of yeast to use?
What do I do?

I've had good luck using Red Star yeast at 2.5g/gallon, unhydrated. I've read that adding dry yeast directly to the must kills about half the yeast cells. So if you start out with twice as much as you need, you end up with about the right amount.

Don't know if that's true or not, but I've had good results that way.

I just add the whole package to a gallon, and I think that's the way most do it. Yeast is pretty cheap. One package is enough for one gallon or up to 5 or 6 gallons of wine usually.

If you put 1 cell in the must, eventually it would work. Yeast is a living thing that eats, poops alcohol and reproduces at a rate that it can, when it can.

The pack will make from 1 quart (or less) to 6 gallons generally.

Back