Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > When to Transfer to Secondary?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Treyceff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2
Default When to Transfer to Secondary?

I have a wine kit brewing that I started last Tuesday. It had a starting gravity of 1.076 (which I felt is a little low for a red, but meh, this wont be an ageing wine). I have it in a loose fitting bucket, and am checking the gravity daily. the kit states to wait 14 days, however my gravity reading is giving me 0.995, which is the stated finished gravity for this wine.

Basically I'm wondering:

A) Do I leave it another week, following the kits instructions?
B) Rack it to a glass carboy and airlock it, wait out the 14 days, then followe the instructions?
c) Rack to a glass carboy, follow the stabilizing steps etc that are in the instructions as if this was day 14?

I am worried about leaving a nearly finished fermenting wine the chance to oxidize by leaving it in the loose fitted fermentor. What are your thoughts?

__________________
Treyceff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyceff
I have a wine kit brewing that I started last Tuesday. It had a starting gravity of 1.076 (which I felt is a little low for a red, but meh, this wont be an ageing wine). I have it in a loose fitting bucket, and am checking the gravity daily. the kit states to wait 14 days, however my gravity reading is giving me 0.995, which is the stated finished gravity for this wine.

Basically I'm wondering:

A) Do I leave it another week, following the kits instructions?
B) Rack it to a glass carboy and airlock it, wait out the 14 days, then followe the instructions?
c) Rack to a glass carboy, follow the stabilizing steps etc that are in the instructions as if this was day 14?

I am worried about leaving a nearly finished fermenting wine the chance to oxidize by leaving it in the loose fitted fermentor. What are your thoughts?
Go ahead and transfer to your carboy and leave for 14 days. There is probably a small amount of sugar left, that will give the yeast time to finish up.
__________________
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Treyceff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2
Default

Alright, thanks for the help!

__________________
Treyceff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer to Secondary? hophead81 Fermentation & Yeast 10 08-20-2010 08:42 PM
transfer to secondary Husemoller21 Fermentation & Yeast 1 02-12-2010 02:28 PM
? about my transfer to secondary 1st ever WayneTree Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 02-18-2009 02:33 PM
transfer to secondary FEARDIZ Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-22-2007 10:17 PM
Transfer to secondary BlendieOfIndie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 09-30-2007 02:50 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS