Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > When to Transfer to Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Treyceff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to Transfer to Secondary?

I have a wine kit brewing that I started last Tuesday. It had a starting gravity of 1.076 (which I felt is a little low for a red, but meh, this wont be an ageing wine). I have it in a loose fitting bucket, and am checking the gravity daily. the kit states to wait 14 days, however my gravity reading is giving me 0.995, which is the stated finished gravity for this wine.

Basically I'm wondering:

A) Do I leave it another week, following the kits instructions?
B) Rack it to a glass carboy and airlock it, wait out the 14 days, then followe the instructions?
c) Rack to a glass carboy, follow the stabilizing steps etc that are in the instructions as if this was day 14?

I am worried about leaving a nearly finished fermenting wine the chance to oxidize by leaving it in the loose fitted fermentor. What are your thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyceff
I have a wine kit brewing that I started last Tuesday. It had a starting gravity of 1.076 (which I felt is a little low for a red, but meh, this wont be an ageing wine). I have it in a loose fitting bucket, and am checking the gravity daily. the kit states to wait 14 days, however my gravity reading is giving me 0.995, which is the stated finished gravity for this wine.

Basically I'm wondering:

A) Do I leave it another week, following the kits instructions?
B) Rack it to a glass carboy and airlock it, wait out the 14 days, then followe the instructions?
c) Rack to a glass carboy, follow the stabilizing steps etc that are in the instructions as if this was day 14?

I am worried about leaving a nearly finished fermenting wine the chance to oxidize by leaving it in the loose fitted fermentor. What are your thoughts?
Go ahead and transfer to your carboy and leave for 14 days. There is probably a small amount of sugar left, that will give the yeast time to finish up.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Treyceff
Recipes 

Alright, thanks for the help!

Quick Reply