When is the last chance to mechanically degass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff48

Reaction score
When is the last possible time to degass with one of the mechanical vacuum (electric, mityvac or vino-vac) methods of degassing before bottling?

I have degassed by the vigorous mixing method (paddle stirrer on the end of an electric drill) added the K sorbate and K meta and the F-pack to the WE Gewurztraminer kit. I am just now getting ready to rack to the final clearing carboy for an additional 10 days of polishing before bottling. Is it now too late to degass using a vacuum method since the direction do not mention any additional degassing after the f-pack addition?

In my previous kit (WE Bourgeron Blanc), I just beat it to death for about 15 minutes and have no carbonation problem and the wine has been in the bottle about 45 days.

Is it still that gassy? If it is, you can degas at any time. I'd do it before racking, though, just in case some it causes some sediment to fall out. Be careful not to aerate too much, if you're not adding any sulfites.

When I first started winemaking I was in a rush to bottle and sometimes had wines with suspended CO2. If you find yourself with gassy wine you can always decant a few hours in advance, or even pour the wine into a quart bottle and shake the crap out of it. Vigorous shaking will certainly get rid of any excess gas but this method is only recommended for wine that you're intending to drink right away.

I vacuum degassed before bottling with my last batch (just to see how much CO2 was left in after resting).

I got only very small bubbles, indicating to me that there was very little left in it, but it really did nothing to the wine.

Back