Sweetening with honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwa-brewing

Reaction score
After reading several recipes I have noticed people are sweetening with honey instead of sugar, wouldn't this make it meadish?

I don't sweeten my wines (I like them dry) but I use honey in one of my recipes (crabapple wine) on the forum. It really smooths out the flavors, while the sugars are fermented out.

It doesn't make the wine taste like mead, though. I mean, there are lots of sugars we use in wine- those from the fruits themselves, table sugar, raisins, honey, etc. Most sugars ferment out completely, and leave just a little body (raisins) or alcohol behind (simple sugars). For a flavor impact, you have to add a large amount.

Honey brings great things to beer, wine, mead, and cider. It's not either/or.

Yooper said:
I don't sweeten my wines (I like them dry) but I use honey in one of my recipes (crabapple wine) on the forum. It really smooths out the flavors, while the sugars are fermented out.

It doesn't make the wine taste like mead, though. I mean, there are lots of sugars we use in wine- those from the fruits themselves, table sugar, raisins, honey, etc. Most sugars ferment out completely, and leave just a little body (raisins) or alcohol behind (simple sugars). For a flavor impact, you have to add a large amount.

Honey brings great things to beer, wine, mead, and cider. It's not either/or.

Thank you! I am going to be trying that recipe soon, getting the crabapples tomorrow! I like semisweets a little towards the dry side myself. Going to have to play around some I see!

When you have fermentation going using honey is it normal for there to be like a skin kinda look at the surface?

Back