Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > So I degassed my wine...and nothing happened...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
lukebuz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default So I degassed my wine...and nothing happened...

So, as the title says, I used my degasser and power drill to degass the my wine (5x 1 gallons, and 1x 5 gallons - and the other thing that happened was they spun into a vortex - and no bubbles came out. Spun the other way, shook, mixed, etc...no bubbles.
Am I wasting my time? Wine doesn't need degassing? They are all various fruit wines, only made 6-8 weeks ago...
Help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If is only 6 or 8 weeks old it just needs to sit around another 48 or so. Mike

Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4272 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Most wines do not need degassing- all you'll succeed in doing is ruining the wine by oxidizing.

It's common to degas in kit wines, which are rushed to bottle, but not for other wines.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
wineANDbrine
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Most wines do not need degassing- all you'll succeed in doing is ruining the wine by oxidizing. It's common to degas in kit wines, which are rushed to bottle, but not for other wines.
Oh no!! I did the same thing to my strawberry wine yesterday. I didn't seem I be getting any results either. I stopped after 30 seconds or so because it seemed like all I was doing was adding more air into it. I hope that I didn't ruin it!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
lukebuz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Most wines do not need degassing- all you'll succeed in doing is ruining the wine by oxidizing.

It's common to degas in kit wines, which are rushed to bottle, but not for other wines.
Ah...thanks for the pointer. Us newbies have so much information out here, it's hard to know what is needed, and what is meant for a different process.
I didn't spin it much - after I noticed nothing was happening. So, I didn't oxygenate too bad.
I'm in no big rush to bottle - I was just helping it along...figuring I was doing good!!
Guess not...

Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
lukebuz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineANDbrine View Post
Oh no!! I did the same thing to my strawberry wine yesterday. I didn't seem I be getting any results either. I stopped after 30 seconds or so because it seemed like all I was doing was adding more air into it. I hope that I didn't ruin it!
30 seconds of spinning won't hurt you. It was no worse than a racking from one container to another. Just leave it alone (like I intend to do) and let it settle/clear on it's own.

Quick Reply