*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #121
BeerWars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
There's a wrong time to drink this?? I think you must be mistaken sir.... ;-)

It's that good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #122
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

It is. Especially since it's even CHEAPER to make than apfelwein

Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #123
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Crap! I started a batch of this last night, however I failed to remember to leave the must for 24-48 hours with a towel on top to get rid of the preservatives, and just cooled to pitching temp, aerated, then pitched my yeast slurry. Is their any way to save the yeast in there or am I just gonna have to wait for 48 hours and aerate again then pitch another yeast slurry?

I'm at work now but I'll post the exact ingredients of the lemon juice when I get home. It has me a bit worried that I won't be able to ferment it at all... :-(

Last edited by Atek; 12-20-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Left out important note

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #124
akthor
Recipes 

Keep popping the top and whipping it to aerate it and hope it starts to ferment. Give it a couple days before you repitch.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #125
Atek
Recipes 

Thanks Akthor, Here's the preservatives in the lemon juice I used, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Metabisulfite and sodium sulfite. So what are my honest chances of this doing anything? I definately will continue to aerate twice daily for another two days before pitching more yeast. Thanks guys, next time I'll read the stupid ingredients... or just juice my own $%^& lemons...

Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #126
akthor
Recipes 

I think unlike other store bought juices lemon always has the preservatives in it hence the directions for letting the must sit for a couple days.

On the plus side its a small amount of juice to a lot of sugar and water so it might start for you anyways.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #127
j-rad
Recipes 

I only let mine sit for an hour or two before pitching my yeast starter... I made it around noon on Sunday, and when I got home from work tonight the airlock was bubbling about once per minute.. seems slow but at least it was doing something.

Question for those who have made it - I just took the lid off my bucket to whip it a bit, and the must was shooting up in the air.. almost like what you see when you boil water, just obviously not that strong or frequent.. just little shots of the liquid straight up in the air.. the underside of the lid was also covered in liquid, but seemed like condensation.

I have a brew belt on the bucket, and its around 76 degrees or so. Is this normal to be doing this?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #128
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
Crap! I started a batch of this last night, however I failed to remember to leave the must for 24-48 hours with a towel on top to get rid of the preservatives, and just cooled to pitching temp, aerated, then pitched my yeast slurry. Is their any way to save the yeast in there or am I just gonna have to wait for 48 hours and aerate again then pitch another yeast slurry?

I'm at work now but I'll post the exact ingredients of the lemon juice when I get home. It has me a bit worried that I won't be able to ferment it at all... :-(
We're in this together. I started a batch today and deliberately did not wait to add the yeast cake. I understand the reasoning, but my cards are on the preservatives being diluted. The yeast 'starter' is pretty large and the nutrient gives me a little hope.

If not, I'll make a starter and pitch it with no harm or true loss.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #129
Atek
Recipes 

Well, aerated again this morning still nothing.... Nice film on top of what looks like dead yeast.... smells very yeasty, but not sure if its the normal yeasty or rotting yeasty, could just be my brain playing tricks on me. If I don't see any action tonight you guys think I should make a starter and pitch that?

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #130
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'd suggest letting it go for 3-4 days to see if it's just a slow starter. Continue to give it a good frothy whipping with a wire whisk a couple of times a day and try to keep it in a room that is in the mid 70's if possible. The lemon juice and preservatives not only make it a unique ferment, it also is less likely to suffer spoilage. -Lon

Quick Reply