The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #101
59f100292
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
I think you need to start over and just follow the directions.
Some help.

I did a one gallon batch because i only had a yeast slurry from one gallon of wine. And as far as I can tell I did follow the directions. Hence, asking where I went wrong. If you make the same recipe with 1/5th the ingredients you should get the same result with one fifth the quantity. (As far as I can figure) any one actually have any help?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #102
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1898 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Has anyone made with fresh yeast? Maybe S-05? I don't have time to go through all 11 pages and look.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #103
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Merritt View Post
Has anyone made with fresh yeast? Maybe S-05? I don't have time to go through all 11 pages and look.
Seriously? Rant incoming.

RANT ERASED.

Sorry, I had a moment there.

No, you have to use a yeast cake, as far as everyone knows.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #104
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Liked 1898 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
Seriously? Rant incoming.

RANT ERASED.

Sorry, I had a moment there.

No, you have to use a yeast cake, as far as everyone knows.
Rant uncalled for but since I got it via email...I'm busy as hell. Had 2 min to check my email and got a notice of new post on this thread. I spend a ton of time on this forum and ALWAYS search for my own answers. Just had a quick question and didn't have time to look.

Last sentence removed

Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #105
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Well........... you did that right? You divided the recipe by 5 and.......... hence my saying you probaly are better off making it by the recipe.

I am sure the problem lies in the making of the sugar water. You have to heat a lot of sugar with not a lot of water. Kind of like candy making. Probably in little batches it's too hard to maintain the temp to avoid scorching.

I am not sure but probably the slurry from a gallon batch would get 5 gallons going since basically its like a starter. You don't need to use the whole yeast cake to get a btach of beer going.

Someone else pointed out somewhere in here how you could make a starter for this if you didn't have a yeast slurry available.

There's been lots of talk about how to change the recipe but all I know is it works as is. If I had more time and funds I would mess around and try to make a batch like we do Apfelwein and compare the results. I don't have the time or money right now. Especially since my last 8 bottles of skeeter pee got gulped down by guests Sat night during the UFC PPV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59f100292 View Post
Some help.

I did a one gallon batch because i only had a yeast slurry from one gallon of wine. And as far as I can tell I did follow the directions. Hence, asking where I went wrong. If you make the same recipe with 1/5th the ingredients you should get the same result with one fifth the quantity. (As far as I can figure) any one actually have any help?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #106
59f100292
Recipes 

Hey man thanks for the help. I shoulda retried a five gallon batch with the slurry, but I racked it saterday and tossed it. Only active slurry i have now is pumpkin and I don't think that'd make good SP. next time I make a fruit wine ill start over.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #107
akthor
Recipes 

I am not to sure on how much flavor the skeeter pee takes on from the slurry. I have made two batches from apfelwein slurry. I could detect no hint of apple flavor just pure lemon, and alcohol

Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #108
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have made a 5 gallon batch of SP and added everything in at once.

I used 2 sachet of Red star Montrachet pitched with all of the reccomended doses of Yeast Nutrient and engerzier and aerated the holy hell out of the batch.

Had "krausen" (ring of bubbles) in 8 hours, I re-aerated within 24 hours and pitched a second dose of YN &E, and maintained fermentation for nearly 2 weeks continuous.

Fermentation temp was 75*F.

Heavent tasted it yet.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #109
akthor
Recipes 

How's it smell? I was a little lax in checking the OG and adding the 3rd bottle of lemon juice and YN ect. I added that a little late I think and I had a slight sulfur smell in the finished product. It didn't really bother anyone but me. But my 2nd batch I was followed the directions to the letter and the sulfur smell was pretty much non exsistent.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #110
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
This sucks, I really doubt I'm going to be able to find lemon juice here in Aus.. Does anyone have any idea on how many lemons it would take for this?
The bottle of ReaLemon says "3 Tablespoons of ReaLemon = the juice of 1 medium lemon"

Serving size 1tsp
Servings about 182 (weird cause there are 192 teaspoons in 32 FL OZ)

Each bottle has 21 1/3 lemons based on math ("the juice of 21 lemons" based on the label).

You need 3 bottles for this recipe which means you need 63-64 fresh lemons.

I am making this with ReaLemon for the first batch, and then when we can get some good fresh lemons I will try with the real stuff to see which is better. I'd prefer to not ingest all of those preservatives if it is not necessary.

Bottled:
Apfelwein, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale , Deception Cream Stout, Pine (Pineapple Wine)

Empties:
Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Quick Reply