Rice Wine - Test - Any input ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm that is interesting, I believe much of the rice starch would remain in the end product (not necessarily bad if that's the flavor you're going for), as that recipe has no enzyme source to break the starches down into sugars the yeast can eat.

I was thinking it had something to do with the type of rice maybe ? It does specify the kind of rice to use but I read another blog online that someone made it and swears by it.

From all the research I have been doing on rice wine...you truly need aglutinous rice and oriental rice yeast, aka yeast balls or cake. And some even use koji.There is a thread just a few lines down about making traditional rice wine. Not saying you won't be able to make wine from the recipe you shared, as you will simply ferment the added sugar. All you can do is try it and see if you like it, quite inexpensive to say the least.

This seems cool but I would want to use the rice as a fermentable if I was to call it a rice wine. As Saramc said you should use oriental yeast balls or cake. They contain Amalyse enzymes needed to break down the starch in the rice to make fermentable sugars. If you use Koji which is a mold grown on rice you venture into the world of Sake and if you dont precisely controle the ferment the way you want then you can very easily sour the wine. However you could just pick up Amalyse extrac at the LHBS & use that in conjunction with the recipe?

You can try this recipe but if you want a nice rice wine I would suggest following this great thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/making-traditional-rice-wine-cheap-fun-different-361095/

I just started a really small batch of this just out of curiosity. I will report back when it's done just in case anyone else is wanting to try some. I find the recipe really interesting but it actually smells really good. Hopefully it will turn out really good.

Back