Primary Fermentation Help Newbii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Iv only brewed beer before so You will understand my question.

Wine as I understand should only be fermented in glass carboys.

However since most of us use whole cut up or super pulpy fruit, do you start the fermentation in a 5 gallon plastic bucket and then transfer to the glass carboy in a number of days? the glass carboy spigits are so small Please explain.

I primary all my wines in a bucket fermenter & later rack to glass carbouys. It works just fine & dandy for me. Regards, GF.

I primary all my wines in a bucket fermenter & later rack to glass carbouys. It works just fine & dandy for me. Regards, GF.

Yes, me too. The primary is always in a bucket, with a towel covering the opening, so I can add things, remove things, stir daily, etc. Then, after about 5-7 days (or when the wine reaches 1.010-1.020), I transfer to a carboy, top up and airlock.

The primary is always in a bucket, with a towel covering the opening, so I can add things, remove things, stir daily, etc.

I just scored some bakery buckets without lids, and I was hesitant to use them as primaries. Buckets to catch apple pulp out the crusher, yes, primaries... eh. But reading this makes me thing, "Well, if Yooper does it that way, I guess I can, too." Hubby is excited, because he gets the carboys that much longer now for his beer.

Back