No Gravity Drop In Secondary, Dessert Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek704

Reaction score
EDIT: I corrected the gravity readings.

I'll keep this as short as possible.

I received WineExpert's Select Special Chocolate Raspberry Port Dessert Wine as a gift for my birthday. Barcode 629181028131 . I followed the directions best as possible.

Starting Gravity: 1.127

I fermented it down to 1.014 after a week, and checked the gravity one more time at 1.014 four days later (0.004 below chart). I added the Chaptalisation(sugar) pack, which raised the gravity to 1.030. I let it sit 7 days, and checked the gravity at 1.024. A week later it held at 1.024, (0.006 above chart), so I racked to secondary. It got down to 1.022 and has held for 34 days. The chart says that it needs to be less than 1.010 before I add the sorbate, and chocolate raspberry mixture. What is going on to keep it from getting down? It has been 76 degrees for the last month.

The Directions Suggested Values for Dessert Wine:
Starting S.G.: 1.128-1.133 Actual 1.127 Time To Reach: 0
Pre-Chaptalisation Gravity: <1.020 Actual: 1.014 Time To Reach: 11 Days
Pre-Racking S.G.: <1.018 Actual: 1.024 Time To Reach: 14 Days
Pre-Stabilizing S.G.: <1.010 Currently: 1.022 Time To Reach: 40 Days
Finishing S.G.: 1.015-1.025

I corrected the values, guess I needed a longer break from work to clear my head.:drunk:

I'm going forward with stabilizing today, since I plan to start another homebrew after I stop by the LHBS. I'll be checking back often before I get to the store to see if there is anything I need to pick up.

I'm going forward with stabilizing today, since I plan to start another homebrew after I stop by the LHBS. I'll be checking back often before I get to the store to see if there is anything I need to pick up.

I'm not sure what the SG is supposed to be at this point- what do the instructions give for the SG and what do you have? If it's still at 1.022, and it's supposed to be 1.022, I'd probably rethink stabilization at this point, as the F pack will make it even sweeter. It seems like the chapitalization is what "stuck" it, and the manufacturer may be able to help if you contact them. Winexpert is particularly helpful.

I purchased another yeast packet from the LHBS, if I don't see any drop then I'll call WineExpert.

Just an update,
There has been some activity with the airlock since the addition. Hopefully the fresh yeast did the trick!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've let it sit for 3 days with no gravity drop. I may pitch the other half bag of yeast. I just got off the phone with Wine Expert and they'll have to give me a call back tomorrow on my lunch break.

I've let it sit for 3 days with no gravity drop. I may pitch the other half bag of yeast. I just got off the phone with Wine Expert and they'll have to give me a call back tomorrow on my lunch break.

Keep us updated! I have no idea at this point, so it's definitely a job for the experts.

Okay, so she said that the wine was going to finish at 1.022 in my case. There is too much alcohol for the yeast, so if I want to add the chocolate raspberry syrup pack, I probably need to use a lot less than normal.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back