The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #9711
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm having the longest fermentation of this stuff. It's batch number 3 on the same yeast, and it's taken nearly 2 months at 60* and is only down to about 1.010 from 1.070. Is the cold temperature to blame? I used a juice blend (apple-blueberry-pomegranate) for about half of the juice, maybe that blend has some extra mild preservative in it that the straight apple juice and cran-apple from old orchard don't have. I'm wondering how much longer it'll take to clear once it's done.

Edit: Montrachet is the yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #9712
slunkmonky
Recipes 

I did 3 gallons of organic apple juice and some corn sugar. It was about 72 degrees the whole time. My method was exactly the same as the first post in this thread except 3/5 's of everything since I used 3 gallons to his five. Mine bubbled hard for a week and then was done. I checked the gravity and like he said it finished near 1.002 or so. Really low. I'm just letting it sit to clear up now for a few more weeks. I think your temp did it but there might be preservatives.

Check the ingredients really well. I have a few bottles of 100% juice with vitamin c added (ascorbic acid) so I'll use a ph balancer when I do that batch. They say it has no preservatives, but I'm thinking they put the vitamin c in there to make it sound more nutritious and also to add a preservative while still calling it all natural since it's vitamin c and not a 'chemical'.

I can't wait to drink this stuff,, in a few months.. haha.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #9713
Towndrunk
Recipes 

I am wondering why my Apfelwein is still hazy after 5 weeks. Not sure if I did something wrong or if the cider used is keeping it from clearing up. I went to Whole Foods and got 2.5 gal of apple juice and 2.5 gal of apple cider. I had a 2.2# bag of corn sugar so I said screw it and threw it all in with one pack of Montrachet yeast. OG was 1.090 and current gravity after 5 weeks is 1.000. If my calculation is correct the ABV is 11.81 I think this is going to stay in the secondary for a few more months before I bottle. I think I am going to cold crash it for a couple days before bottleing. Maybe that will clear it up a little. Anyone have any opinions or comments on the high ABV? will this stuff ever be drinkable and will it clear up?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #9714
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towndrunk View Post
I am wondering why my Apfelwein is still hazy after 5 weeks. Not sure if I did something wrong or if the cider used is keeping it from clearing up. I went to Whole Foods and got 2.5 gal of apple juice and 2.5 gal of apple cider. I had a 2.2# bag of corn sugar so I said screw it and threw it all in with one pack of Montrachet yeast. OG was 1.090 and current gravity after 5 weeks is 1.000. If my calculation is correct the ABV is 11.81 I think this is going to stay in the secondary for a few more months before I bottle. I think I am going to cold crash it for a couple days before bottleing. Maybe that will clear it up a little. Anyone have any opinions or comments on the high ABV? will this stuff ever be drinkable and will it clear up?
My Apfelwein was made Dec. 3rd. I followed the recipe just as you appear to have done: nothing but the apple juice (I used fresh cider from a local orchard), 2 lb dextrose and the Montrachet yeast. After several months in the primary it was hazy, so I got some pectic enzyme (haze is likely caused by pectin) and put in the recommended amount when I racked to secondary. I bottled after a total of three months (first week in March), and the Apfelwein clarified more, but still has a slight haze to it. It tastes very good, and I expect that it will only get better.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #9715
Kampo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so took two bottles up last night to check to see if I will have any carbonation problems. tossed them in he freezer for an hour to get them nice and cold. first one I sweetend a bit to see if my fiance liked it better with a little sweetness, I didn't care much for it and neither did she, but carbonation was good, bit more than beer but didn't seem like it would be a problem.

then the second I poured straight from the bottle. Cold, Crisp, Tad bit Tart with a a hint of apple....started working on a project and the I relized holly crap I'm wasted.....

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #9716
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo View Post
so took two bottles up last night to check to see if I will have any carbonation problems. tossed them in he freezer for an hour to get them nice and cold. first one I sweetend a bit to see if my fiance liked it better with a little sweetness, I didn't care much for it and neither did she, but carbonation was good, bit more than beer but didn't seem like it would be a problem.

then the second I poured straight from the bottle. Cold, Crisp, Tad bit Tart with a a hint of apple....started working on a project and the I relized holly crap I'm wasted.....
How long after bottling was this? I'm gearing up to bottle mine that I made 2/24 and I'm curious if it will be 3 weeks like beer or longer/shorter?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #9717
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

just put another batch of this together over the weekend, rhino farts have taken over my basement! Won't be touching this til september at the earliest.

Primary - Amber Alert IPA
Primary - Mild
Primary - empty

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #9718
Cjtabares
Recipes 

Just put my first batch of this together last night early this morning. The only thing I changed form the recipe was adding yeast nutrients, I live in an apartment and hope to keep the rhino fart smell to a minimum.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #9719
warndogg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
After several months in the primary it was hazy, so I got some pectic enzyme (haze is likely caused by pectin) and put in the recommended amount when I racked to secondary.
I am wondering how exactly you added the pectic enzyme? I have the same issue with haze and I am reaching the end of fermentation. I have some powder enzyme. Do you just toss it right into the primary how is that sanitary?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #9720
mastamind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineMilBill View Post
If you've let it go completely dry, just fill the gallon jugs up pretty high, and ensure the cap or however you're sealing it is air tight. It'll be good. Can you not bottle, either in beer bottles or wine bottles?
I can bottle only problem is I still don't have the right amount of bottles yet I need to buy some more from the brew store.All my empties are being used for my beer.

Quick Reply