Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #5371
Recluse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcobbs View Post
Even though a lot of people prefer one over the other, I have to say I like both.
Apfelwein is perfect for those times when you want something just a little lighter and/or dryer than Graff. And Graff is perfect for all the rest of the time, pretty much.
Putting in an order for the ingredients for Graff. Figure if I start a batch of GRAFF next week, I could be drinking it while waiting for the Apfelwein to age. Heh thinking of adding another carboy to the order too

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #5372
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw View Post
I've read the entire thread ... even "search this thread" ... do you add k met or anything before bottling? Or is that not a problem because a batch doesn't seem to last very long in anyone's house.
You can stabilize it if you aren't planning on bottling it to carb but it doesn't seem necessary. I have had year old batches which are just fine without stabilizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #5373
cbw
Recipes 

Thanks for the info on stablizing apfelwein Saccharomyces!

(By the by, your avatar reminds me of the thing that lived in my closet when I was a child)

Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #5374
kevincad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Yeah, you need to go 4 weeks. I really don't bother with a secondary, I just use a 5 gallon carboy.

It will ferment out dry, but you'll still note the apples and it can be sweetened with Splenda or Lactos, but everyone who has sampled mine tends to like it just the way it is. It shows by the speed of the empty kegs.
I've got a simple question. When you add Splenda to make it sweeter, when do you add it? Thanks.

KGB Brewing
Snellville, GA

Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #5375
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, Ive got everything I need to make a batch of this stuff, I am just really concerned with the sulphur smell. Is it really that bad? Will it permiate through the floor if I do it in the basement? My wife will kill me if the whole house stinks like rotten eggs. Then again my Kid's will too if I stink up the basement because that is their finished playroom.

I am going to use EdWorts exact recipe, only difference is I couldn't get Tree Top apple juice, so I got Motts.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #5376
RecruitNBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just an idea to deal with the smell:

1. Take a ziploc baggie and poke 10+ small holes in it
2. Stuff two or three crumpled up dryer sheets in the bag
3. Place the bag over the airlock after it starts bubbling (filled with vodka) and secure with a rubber band
4. Take it off after a couple weeks. The threat of rhino farts should have subsided.

I don't think you will have any rhino farts escaping the basement with this setup

By the way, the rhino farts really do smell like a bad case of ass. My wife got pissed at me for putting it in our bedroom closet.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #5377
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecruitNBrew View Post
Just an idea to deal with the smell:

1. Take a ziploc baggie and poke 10+ small holes in it
2. Stuff two or three crumpled up dryer sheets in the bag
3. Place the bag over the airlock after it starts bubbling (filled with vodka) and secure with a rubber band
4. Take it off after a couple weeks. The threat of rhino farts should have subsided.

I don't think you will have any rhino farts escaping the basement with this setup

By the way, the rhino farts really do smell like a bad case of ass. My wife got pissed at me for putting it in our bedroom closet.
That sounds like a great idea. Has anyone ever tried this set-up? BTY thats funny it was in your bedroom closet..........man my wife would have been pissed too! How long does the smell last for? Did you move it???

Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #5378
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

i put my first batch in my bedroom closet and the wife almost dumped it out.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #5379
elbajista
Recipes 

Idea: 2-3 dashes of angostura bitters really adds complexity for those who want a little more in their Apfelwein. Yum!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #5380
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie3 View Post
Ok, Ive got everything I need to make a batch of this stuff, I am just really concerned with the sulphur smell. Is it really that bad? Will it permiate through the floor if I do it in the basement? My wife will kill me if the whole house stinks like rotten eggs. Then again my Kid's will too if I stink up the basement because that is their finished playroom.

I am going to use EdWorts exact recipe, only difference is I couldn't get Tree Top apple juice, so I got Motts.
I made it with 3 gal of cheap applejuice and added 2 tsp of FERMAX Yeast nutrient (see upthread). Rhino Farts started in less than 24h but were only really bad for maybe the next 12-18 h. Still some lingering but only if you get close to the airlock. Since it is in the basement close to the diaper pail, there is some scent camouflage Not so bad. Don't know if it was luck, the yeast nutrient, or the cheap apple juice that eased the stench..

Quick Reply