Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 AM   #5221
knarfks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

71B-1122 turns out pretty dry and watery. I'm currently aging one to see if the apple flavor returns, but it is currently very minimal. I bet you would get torn up easily because it is very smooth, just not flavorful. The montrachet turns out the best in my opinion. I have tried a couple other wine yeasts, but have come back to montrachet. The original is the best.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #5222
elbajista
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knappster View Post
I bought a better bottle online specifically for this. I just "brewed" a batch today hoping that I'll be able to leave it in the bottles until Christmas time. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to start another in 2 weeks.

BTW, I went to Sam's and had to get 8 of the 86 oz. bottles of Mott's to get enough. It was like 4.76 per 2-pack I think. My total cost was probably be less than $25 besides the equipment I bought for it.

I'll check back with you in a few months when I bottle
I found the exact same deal. I initially planned on a 5 gallon batch, but tomorrow I'm picking up a 6 gallon carboy....

I'll need another 80 ounces of AJ (688oz. total in the pack from Sam's) , but I only have 2 lbs. of dextrose plus a priming sugar packet. Instead of running back to the LHBS to buy another 0.4 lbs. of dextrose, can I just use the 5 oz. priming packet for the extra gallon in a 6 gallon batch? I'll only be I'll be 1.4oz short on dextrose.

I can always go back before bottling time for priming sugar, but my question is how much this will affect the final product and ABV?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:13 AM   #5223
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbajista View Post
I found the exact same deal. I initially planned on a 5 gallon batch, but tomorrow I'm picking up a 6 gallon carboy....

I'll need another 80 ounces of AJ (688oz. total in the pack from Sam's) , but I only have 2 lbs. of dextrose plus a priming sugar packet. Instead of running back to the LHBS to buy another 0.4 lbs. of dextrose, can I just use the 5 oz. priming packet for the extra gallon in a 6 gallon batch? I'll only be I'll be 1.4oz short on dextrose.

I can always go back before bottling time for priming sugar, but my question is how much this will affect the final product and ABV?
Substitute an equal mass of table sugar, you'll be fine. Then you can save the (more expensive) dextrose for priming or something else.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 07-26-2009, 03:52 AM   #5224
elbajista
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
Substitute an equal mass of table sugar, you'll be fine. Then you can save the (more expensive) dextrose for priming or something else.
Doesn't table sugar affect the taste adversely? Or will the relatively small amount (6.4oz) not have a noticeable affect?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 AM   #5225
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
Doesn't table sugar affect the taste adversely? Or will the relatively small amount (6.4oz) not have a noticeable affect?
The "adverse" effect on flavor is generally described as "cidery," which won't make any difference here.

Also, the small quantity won't make any difference. It's only really for beer that you need to worry about it, although I bet you'd be able to tell the difference between side-by-side apfelwein batches where one used dextrose and the other used sucrose.

On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

Old 07-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #5226
NeonBrew
Recipes 

I'm bottling my first batch today. I planned on starting a new one as well. What is the advantage of batching right over the old yeast cake? Just convenience? I have the new yeast, but keep reading of so many wanting to do that. I like the idea of cleaning out the carboy and starting fresh, but if there's an advantage other than convenience, maybe I'd try it?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #5227
elbajista
Recipes 

Quote:
The "adverse" effect on flavor is generally described as "cidery," which won't make any difference here.

Also, the small quantity won't make any difference. It's only really for beer that you need to worry about it, although I bet you'd be able to tell the difference between side-by-side apfelwein batches where one used dextrose and the other used sucrose.
Can I use table sugar in a 1/1 ratio with the 6.4 oz of dextrose that I'm short?

What about organic cane sugar?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #5228
knarfks
Recipes 

Read previous page for answer...

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #5229
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
Can I use table sugar in a 1/1 ratio with the 6.4 oz of dextrose that I'm short?

What about organic cane sugar?
I haven't done it, but my guess would be that it'd still turn out okay. Post your results if you try it, especially if you've got a batch brewed with 100% dextrose to compare to.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #5230
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I made a batch with all sucrose instead of the dextrose because I ran out of corn sugar. I couldn't tell the difference in the end product, though fermentation was a bit slower with the sucrose version.

With both I use some yeast nutrient to add nitrogen to the juice, as 'cider flavor' is caused by fermenting nutrient deficient juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply